Funkeq

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Hey People,

Having Issue with my Video Card (i suspect), Wondering if someone could give me some feedback.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2512

I have a gigabyte GeForce 8600 GTS which i have had for about 1 1/2 year.
When playing Games (World of warcraft and Tabula Rasa and sometimes TF2) it sometimes freezes and displays wierd colours and faded menu boxes where a menu might have been. Lie this pic i found on the net http://www.teamfortress2fort.com/custom/24/images/gallery/480a2414-e8f1-483c-83ca-275d91da2614.jpg

reinstalled latest drivers and directx. Ran aquamark3 and it kept freezing when running test.Had a look inside the pc and removed and reconnected found card to be really hot almost couldn't touch it.

idle temp was about 55c running games about 70-75
put a fan by the video card and this lowered the temp to 45-55 and most games ran better but some still crashed.

TIme for a new Card? or could it be more then just a video card issue?

any help would be great cheers

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Maybe take the card out and examine it real closely look for/smell any burned parts especially the little black boxes [ferrite/iron cores,usually only two connections to the mobo] if all looks well and card is clean,try renewing the T.I.M [thermal grease] also a card that is starving for power will act weird also,and check the card's fingers [slot connectors for grease etc]..
Then consider either a new card or a failing psu..:)

Funkeq

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Had a real good look at the card and it looks fine.
Dosn't smell at all and no dark or black spots on it.

There is no fan to check as is it a silient 3 card.

If it was the power supply I would have thought the fan blowing on it wouldn't have made it run better

running s gigabyte g4-m57sli board with a amd athlon x2 5600+
2GB ram

Might see if one of mates has a pci-e card laying around to test :)
thanks for you help so far guys :)