Cooler & Heatsinks

G

Could someone please suggest a "GOOD" cooler (Heatsink / Fan)for:
Antec Sonata III
Gigabyte ep-45-ud3p
Q9550

I would prefer not to have to remove the motherboard!

Could someone please suggest a "GOOD" cooler (Heatsink / Fan)for:
Antec Sonata III
Gigabyte ep-45-ud3p
Q9550

I would prefer not to have to remove the motherboard!

I like the large tower type coolers with a slow turning 120mm fan. Almost any will be good and fit. You should be able to find one for <$40.

Plan on removing the motherboard to install.

For backplate type coolers, removing the motherboard is a must. Your case does not have a motherboard tray with the big opening that would otherwise be required.

For pushpin type coolers, you really need to be able to look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are fully through and locked.

hankafyin

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I have a Q9550 system, same motherboard in a Antec 900 two case, running @ 3.6 Ghz 24/7. I am running a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. (rev 1) It does OK, but heat is limiting factor. I am stable @ 3.8 but getting too hot.

I think that there are better coolers out there, for the money. Thanks for the thread, I was wondering if there was a better solution that would still allow me to keep my side fan.

Here's a video of my system if you want to take a look, I slapped a Cooler Master sticker on the AC HSF for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EusoPORfQ

Loose the side fan and add a quality 155-160mm tall tower cooler.
The side fan doesn't really add much cooling anyways and a full sized tower cpu cooler will improve temps greatly.
Does the 900 have a drive cage fan mount adapter?
My 902 does and that's where my extra fan went to cool my gpu.

hankafyin

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Thanks for the reply Davcon, but I don't want to highjack the tread.

I still have the cage fan adapter in the case box in my closet. I wasn't sure if it was as effective as the side fan. I appreciate the info, I may just give it a shot with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus with push/pull.

My northbridge gets a little warm (52c) during gaming and the side fan does bring that temp down, that's why I didn't want to lose it.

You'll be golden with that set-up my 5850 dropped 2-3C with the drive cage fan mounted/it's like an inch and a half away from gpu.