Few questions, looking for opinions.

jasongixxer

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
So, I just built a new rig. Had everything up and running, installed vista64 and updated it, downloaded a few drivers, and just tooled around for a bit, etc...etc... apporx time 3-4 hours running.

I decided to install a game to see what "she" could do, finished the install. It added dx10 as well.
Started the game, getting serious artifacts/glitching on the game start screen. Was barely able to make out the exit game button, clicked it exited the game.

...Back on my desktop, still getting the artifacts/glitching in vista, shut down computer.

Reboot, still getting artifacts even on the post screen. I continued to let it boot up, artifacts/glitching the whole time through load screens all the way to desktop.
Pondered for a bit, then screen goes blank.

Now I am unable to boot the system or even achieve a post, I get no post beep codes or video.
I do get video error beep code when the gfx card is removed, but no beeps at all when its in.

The only resources I have to test anything is an old pcie card that requires no power connector, the system boots fine with that.

What has me leaning towards the gfx card being the culprit is that the one time i was able to reboot, I was getting major artifacts/glitching even on the post screen, and the fact im able to boot with the other card. As i said though the other card requires no power connector, so that kind of leaves the psu in question.

Few questions,

Is it my highest probability that this gfx card is a lemon?
Could my psu or mobo have caused this card to go bad?
In case of the psu, could not enough power to the card or a bad psu cause major artifacts/glitching?
I didn't run the test card for very long at all, could a bad pcie slot slowly burn out a gfx card?

amd 9950
gigabyte ma790x-ud4 mobo, no on-board video
xfx 4870xxx 512mb
ocz ddr2 800 8gb
sigma 650w psu, 4 rail @ 17amp per

I appreciate any kind of opinions here, and thank you very much.

jasongixxer

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

Ya, that was one the first things I did after installing windows.

My worry is that im going to get a new card and have the same thing happen again. :(

Can u test the card in anohter PC?