Sign in with
Your question

I7-860, P55-UD3 Won't Post

Last response: in Overclocking
August 10, 2010 8:31:06 PM

Hello!

I built an I7-860 system about 3 months ago. I had just upped my core clock a bit, and had it stress testing Prime when I went to the gym. I came home and the thing was off. Tried to turn it back on, and it started for a moment, and turned back off. I breadboarded it, and tried a different PSU, with the same results, I also tried removing all but 1 stick of RAM, along with changing slots, with no luck. I get the same beep pattern regardless, it is several very fast beeps, for about 1 second, then either shuts off, or repeats again.

My system is:
i7-860
Gigabyte PA-P55-UD3
8 gig kingston 1600 DDR3 Ram
BFG 275 GTX

at the time of the meltdown:
QPI voltage: 1.31
CPU voltage 1.35
multiplier: x22
BLCK: 182
RAM voltage 1.64
RAM clock: 1820

It was running right around 4Ghz, I think around 4.07Ghz

I've got it down to either being the mobo or the CPU. I know my CPU voltages where high, but I didn't think they were high enough to cause this kind of damage. While stress testing with Prime, I run right around 80C (I have HT on)

The beeps from the speaker are very fast, and I cannot tell if they are constant pitch (meaning a power problem, which I assume would mean a short in the mobo since I tried a different PS)

or if they are high/low, meaning a CPU issue.

Thanks a ton four your help!

More about : 860 p55 ud3 post

a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 9:33:14 PM

Did you clear the CMOS and try it?
m
l
August 10, 2010 10:25:34 PM

I did. Although I just used the jumper. I have the battery out now, will try putting it back in in an hour or so.
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2010 5:04:17 PM

Quote:

The beeps from the speaker are very fast, and I cannot tell if they are constant pitch (meaning a power problem, which I assume would mean a short in the mobo since I tried a different PS)

Your motherboard manual should have information regarding the beeps, somewhere in the troubleshooting section.

Did you check the temperatures at the overclock?
m
l
August 11, 2010 5:31:42 PM

yea they were right around 80C before I left (under full load, with HT on). I'm about 90% sure its the mobo at this point, I ordered a new one today, should be here tomorrow, so hopefully that fixes the problem.
m
l
August 12, 2010 6:31:11 PM

Do post the results with your new mobo.
m
l
!