Sign in with
Your question

MSI KA780G or ASUS M3N78pro

Last response: in Motherboards
July 3, 2009 9:10:53 PM

Could not find any testing those two mobo together, any passmark/benchmark testing available to compare these or any advices?
I will do no overclocking or Xfire/SLI, only performance, bugfree, solid and reliable is counting here for me.

Thanks

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1...
http://nl.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=676&l4=...
July 4, 2009 2:39:19 AM

I did a Google search of
most reliable motherboards 2008 MSI KA780G
at got 100 hits.

I did a 2nd Google search of
most reliable motherboards 2008 ASUS M3N78pro
and received 1,450 hits.

I can tell you what I do. I go to www.newegg.com and search for a component. I bring up the specifications tab, highlight and copy just the actual specification (starting at Model and including features). I then paste that into notepad and save to file1.txt
I do the same for the next component that I want to compare, saving notepad to file2.txt

I bring up Excel and import file1.txt. I make sure that the column separator is tabs.
Repeat for file2.txt. Copy from the 2nd excel instance back into the first worksheet in columns 3 and 4.
Line up the labels in columns 1 and 3 by inserting (shift cells up) or deleting (shift cells down). Highlight the cells in columns 1 & 2 xor 3 & 4 then right click and either insert or delete.

Once the labels are lined up and column spacing is adjusted, delete column 3.

Now compare.

Happy hunting.
July 4, 2009 5:42:56 AM

Thanks, for the reply, Did a try on Google but reliable is one point and on the web its not based on facts or model.

I'm searching for a test with these two mobo, did find them seperate but not together so I can compare.

Using spec's based on a distributor is rather tricky because I know failures are made, I prefere the manufacture site as a sourche for spec's.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 4, 2009 1:06:49 PM

Toine1 said:
Thanks, for the reply, Did a try on Google but reliable is one point and on the web its not based on facts or model.

I'm searching for a test with these two mobo, did find them seperate but not together so I can compare.

Using spec's based on a distributor is rather tricky because I know failures are made, I prefere the manufacture site as a sourche for spec's.

Yes, once I have narrowed it down, I go to the manufactures web site and find their user manual. I then compare the detailed specs contained there to the Spreadsheet and refine it. Too hard to do when I am comparing 8 products as I recently did. But once I got it down to three, much easier.

Good luck finding that review. Maybe when you are done you can write one. :) 
July 4, 2009 1:19:03 PM

I have did all the shifting in advance so only two Mobo were in my choice list, MSI or this ASUS.

Yep your right lot of test results for the ASUS, but none for the MSI, normally this implicate that it is not a populair product, wich could be because its not good.
July 5, 2009 6:02:31 PM

One question, I have noticed that on the ASUS mobo, DDR2-1066 will support only one DIMM per channel. This mobo has the NvidiaGf8300 chip. Looking at similar ASUS mobo but with a AMD 790G/700 chipset there is no remark on the DDR2-1066 RAM limit. Is this because of the limitation of the Nvidia mobochip?? :p 
July 5, 2009 9:45:01 PM

Toine1 said:
One question, I have noticed that on the ASUS mobo, DDR2-1066 will support only one DIMM per channel. This mobo has the NvidiaGf8300 chip. Looking at similar ASUS mobo but with a AMD 790G/700 chipset there is no remark on the DDR2-1066 RAM limit. Is this because of the limitation of the Nvidia mobochip?? :p 

No, I don't think so. The limit is with the AMD CPU not the other mobo chipsets. I would have to investigate to be sure but the answer is probably that the mobo senses that you have more than two slots filled and forces 800 MHz timing even if some of the chips are 1066.

My advice? Stick with the 800 MHz timing. You are not over clocking the voltages (are you? The gain is at most 2%) so save yourself a lot of pain and money.

Go for the lowest timing that you can afford at the 800 MHz level.
July 6, 2009 7:07:36 PM

No its for my dad's PC, so OC will be low. But I have selected this ATX mobo's because:
budget and for a future upgrading, they can handle 140w,45um,AM3,Phenon CPU's, you never know.

I remember, this was also the matter at my old Pentium4 computer, this could handle max3Gb and max2Gb this was depending on the speed of the DDR1 memory.
!