Low "Windows 7 Experience Rating" for F3 Spinpoint?

harriw

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Hey folks,

Windows 7 is up and seems to be running fine so far (knock on wood). Memtest86+ ran for 3 hours with no errors. Haven't gotten to Prime95 yet, but all drivers are now installed.

Just for giggles, I ran the "win 7 experience index," which came back with all upper 7's except for the hard drive. I only got a 5.9 for my Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB (7200RPM, 32MB cache, SATA II interface).

What gives? Do you really need an SSD to get a high HD rating from win7? Only thing I can think of is that I split the drive into 2 partitions of 200G and 730G. Windows is insatlled on the 200G, and I haven't yet formatted the large data partition so windows can't use it yet (it's formatting now). Would that reduce my score? Or is something wrong here?

Silly question I know, but I'm wondering if I stumbled onto something here...

Thanks a lot.

-Bill

harriw

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Phew! Glad to hear that. This build has gone WAY too smoothly so far (nothign but a single stuck green pixel so far), and I thought I'd found something.

Guess it's just calibrated for SSD's to get the high scores?

Thanks a lot.

anonymousdude

Distinguished

The highest score for a mechanical HDD is 5.9. Only SSD's will get above 5.9

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I have a Western Digital SSD....that only scored a 7. I use a Samsung F3 for my data though, as they are faster for continuous writes. SSD good for boot drive as it is trying to read at random during startup.

What is the rest of your build?

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Even the top end SSD that i've seen max out at 7.3...haven't seen any 7.9 yet...this will likely be the SLC top end (ultra pricey) SSD's, but MLC mid range suits me...and pretty much every other user without an itch to scratch.

harriw

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
What is the rest of your build?

MB: Gigabyte GA-890fxa-ud5
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955
GPU: Gigabyte factory OC'd HD 5850
PSU: Corsair TX950
RAM: 4G (2x2G) GSkill Ripjaws 1333 (CL7)
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (7200RPM, 32MB cache, SATA II)
Optical: ASUS 24x DVD-RW w/ lightscribe
Case: HAF 932
Monitor: ASUS 23" LCD (2ms version) - has one pixel stuck green right out of the box :fou:

Running beautifully so far except for that one pixel. I was being a little impatient so I only ran Memtest for 3 hours and Prime95 for 1.5 hours, but no errors on either (and I have no OC's yet so I think that's probably sufficient for now). Stock HS on the 955, and my temps got to 61C max during Prime95. That sound about right? It's a bit higher than I'd like (I'll be adding a bigger cooler at some point in the near future, but should be fine short term).

It's like night and day compared to my current Athlon XP 3200+ rig :D