Sign in with
Your question
Solved

High Interrupts

Last response: in Windows XP
July 10, 2011 7:59:09 PM

I hope I did not double post this, but been on so many forums looking for answers, and getting a little groggy.

Dell Optiplex GSX270 1gb RAM, 2.4gHz Processor, XP/PRO
Original Problem:
I just installed a Maxtor 6L04032 40 GB secondary IDE Hard Drive to use for backup.
Formatted it to NTFS.
The backup Software (Acronis) estimated 1 hour 30 min or so to backup 14 Gig.
This is way too long, and should only take 15 minutes, or less. (15 minutes on my other Dell 1.7 gHz machine. (Dell Dimension 4400)
When I looked at process explorer, the following resource was using 85 to 95% CPU.
Interrupts Hardware Interrupts & DPC - Showing 0k private and 0k working set.
Tried to update driver, but said I had the most recent one.

Backed up files on DELL Dimension 4400 XP Home - No excessive Interrupts.
Moved the backup disk to omniplex XP PRO- Ran backup and Get High Interrupt %.

I Did this with 2 different drives, same results.

More about : high interrupts

July 11, 2011 2:19:55 AM

are your jumpers set properly?
m
l
July 11, 2011 5:47:23 AM

cable select
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2011 12:10:55 PM

Make sure the drives are running in DMA mode and not PIO mode. You can check the drive controllers in the device manager for this.
m
l
July 11, 2011 1:01:53 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Make sure the drives are running in DMA mode and not PIO mode. You can check the drive controllers in the device manager for this.

Settings are Auto Detect - DMA mode if available
m
l
July 11, 2011 1:53:12 PM

Yes, but right beneath that (transfer mode) you should see "current transfer mode". What does it read?
m
l
July 11, 2011 2:44:16 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED !

Not sure which of the following cured the Problem, but under the IDE\Atap\Atapi Controller there were duplicate entries for Primary, plus Secondary IDE channels, and Standard Dual channel PCI IDE Controller.

Someone suggested that wasn't correct, and to delete & reboot and new drivers would be installed.
I opted to only uninstall the duplicate entries for each.
At the IDE/Atap/Atapi controller level, I did a scan for hardware changes which added ATA Storage Controller.

After reboot the dupe primary & scdy were regenerated (I assume for the CD/RW device).
The duplicate Standard Dual channel PCI IDE Controller disappeared.
A new Ultra ATA Storage controller was added.

Drives are functioning ok now. Thanks for your responses

m
l

Best solution

July 11, 2011 2:50:56 PM

ksiemb said:
PROBLEM SOLVED !

Someone suggested that wasn't correct, and to delete & reboot and new drivers would be installed.

That was me. I said to delete the entries since windows will add them back in automatically. I didn't realize they were both your posts. That said, please don't double post on the forums. Thank you.
January 24, 2012 3:16:03 PM

I'm not sure if this will add to the discussion, but when I looked at the Device Manager -> Primary IDE, I found that the slave drive was set for PIO and couldn't be changed to DMA. Digging deeper I discovered that the slave drive was turned off in the BIOS (how that happened, I don't know). As soon as I changed the BIOS setting to Auto and rebooted, it switched to DMA, and now all is well.
m
l
January 31, 2012 8:53:17 AM

Best answer selected by ksiemb.
m
l
November 14, 2012 4:48:11 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
That was me. I said to delete the entries since windows will add them back in automatically. I didn't realize they were both your posts. That said, please don't double post on the forums. Thank you.

I have what appears to be the same problem that ksiemb wrote about, double entries, the primary 1st entry says that the current transfer mode is PIO Mode, the primary 2nd entry says that the current transfer mode Not Applicable. So, do I delete both the 1st and 2nd entry or just one, which one?
I also have duplicate secondary IDE Channels, 1st one is same as the Primary, transfer Mode is DMA if applicable and Current Transfer Mode is Not Applicable. 2nd Secondary is same as first except Current Transfer Mode is Ultra DMA Mode 2. Do I delete both of the secondary or just one and then which one?
I also have duplicate Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers, the 1st one PCI Bus 0, device 20, function 1, the 2nd one is PCI Bus 0, device 18, function 0. Do I delete both or which one?
Right now my interrupts is at 3% CPU or lower, earlier it was at 85% and higher.
For other people Device Mgr is found at START, CONTROL PANEL Icon, SYSTEM Icon, HARDWARE Tab, DEVICE MANAGER Button, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Stefan
m
l
November 16, 2012 8:47:39 PM

Hawkeye22 said:

I have what appears to be the same problem that ksiemb wrote about, double entries, the primary 1st entry says that the current transfer mode is PIO Mode, the primary 2nd entry says that the current transfer mode Not Applicable. So, do I delete both the 1st and 2nd entry or just one, which one?
I also have duplicate secondary IDE Channels, 1st one is same as the Primary, transfer Mode is DMA if applicable and Current Transfer Mode is Not Applicable. 2nd Secondary is same as first except Current Transfer Mode is Ultra DMA Mode 2. Do I delete both of the secondary or just one and then which one?
I also have duplicate Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers, the 1st one PCI Bus 0, device 20, function 1, the 2nd one is PCI Bus 0, device 18, function 0. Do I delete both or which one?
Right now my interrupts is at 3% CPU or lower, earlier it was at 85% and higher.
For other people Device Mgr is found at START, CONTROL PANEL Icon, SYSTEM Icon, HARDWARE Tab, DEVICE MANAGER Button, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
m
l
November 18, 2012 2:28:39 AM

Stefanm_97 said:

******PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!#####*****!!!!!
Nobody answered so I created a RESTORE POINT (Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore-Create a Restore Point)
Then I went to Device Manager (found at START, CONTROL PANEL Icon, SYSTEM Icon, HARDWARE Tab, DEVICE MANAGER Button)
Dbl click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
I then uninstalled my 1st primary entry that said that the current transfer mode is PIO Mode (Dbl click the 1st primary entry, click the Driver tab then click the Uninstall button.
I also uninstalled the first secondary entry and then rebooted and my interrupts went from 70% CPU to .01% CPU.
HOORAY!!
m
l
!