Sign in with
Your question

Fixing a power supply + best power supply for gtx 260

Last response: in Components
May 3, 2009 1:57:18 PM

Ive been having some problems with my power supply. Recently I was playing a game and my computer suddenly died. At first I couldn't figure out the problem, but out of curiosity I removed my current power supply, a 680W, and replaced it with my old one, a 500W. Then the computer worked.

I was wondering if there's any way to fix a power supply with ease? I don't know what's wrong with it. Is it as easy as opening it and putting a wire back in place? I really dont feel like buying another one...

Also, could it have died because 680W is not enough for a gtx 260? If that's the problem, I would like to hear some suggestions as to a better power supply.
May 3, 2009 3:52:38 PM

It's near impossible to fix a PSU for average joe's. Unless you have the schematic and is an electrical technician, who can solder, work with a multimeter and oscilloscope.

Typical failures for PSU are blown capcitors, then mosfets, sometimes it could be cold solder joints, really it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

A quality 680W is more than enough for GTX260.
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 3, 2009 6:32:29 PM

A single GTX 260 video cards uses about 195 watts and 16 amps at full load.

You didn't list the rest of your components. If you are a gamer with an overclocked quad core cpu, then you can figure maybe another 300 watts for the rest of your components. That would bring the total power consumption to somewhere around 500 watts. A high quality 680 watt power supply is sufficient to power a GTX 260. As you already learned even a 500 watt power supply might be able to handle a GTX 260 but that's really pushing it. A lot depends on the configuration.

Good quality power supplies come with a decent warranty. For example, Corsair psu's have a 5 year warranty. Is your psu still under warranty?
Related resources
May 3, 2009 6:38:24 PM

thejoblot said:

I was wondering if there's any way to fix a power supply with ease? I don't know what's wrong with it. Is it as easy as opening it and putting a wire back in place? I really dont feel like buying another one...

I admit I've done it more than once, but it's dangerous to open up a power supply. The capacitors inside store energy and could give you quite a shock.
a c 144 ) Power supply
May 3, 2009 6:51:52 PM

No. There is no simple way of repairing a PSU. Outside of blown capacitors, the odds of seeing something wrong are pretty small. And because of the high switching frequencies, many of the transistors and diodes are special components.
!