GA-EP35-DS3L Crash Q6600

G

If I try to OC the FSB from 266 to 267, the boot crashes and doesn't get past POST. If I adjust the FS down to 260, it still crashes. The FSB has to be set at 266 to POST. Any ideas why? I have not touched any other settings on the above Mobo.

G

Forgot to mention: I was easily able to OC this combo to 3.2 GHz when running Vista and W7 32 bit by only changing the FSB. When I installed an additional HDD to the system, that's when things went south. I now run W7 64 bit - does that have anything to do with this?

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
If I try to OC the FSB from 266 to 267, the boot crashes and doesn't get past POST. If I adjust the FS down to 260, it still crashes. The FSB has to be set at 266 to POST. Any ideas why? I have not touched any other settings on the above Mobo.

I thought that you have locked multplier version of Q6600. But reading your second post, that you WERE able to go 3.2 Ghz, I have no clue.

Perhaps it has something with your harddisk. Perhaps disabling S.M.A.R.T HDD can help.

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
well, yeah absolutely. But, I don't know its effect will repair the system. Because, imho because of the harddisk. Wait, maybe you can try unplug the harddisk then try to boot.

If, you can boot properly, then it's the harddisk that causes the problem.

G

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I took out the CMOS battery on the mobo hoping to reset it all and it didn't work. Then I shorted the clear CMOS pins with a screwdriver, which did reset the mobo and presto>>>>all of a sudden, I can OC again! WTF? I don't know what happened but I am running 3.0GHz with aftermarket cooling, pretty stable with decent temps. I am not complaining, but it sure is mysterious. I feel pretty dumb for not clearing the CMOS first....