SSD and internet speed

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Hi,

I understand SSD improve loading time of programs., but I have other questions...

Does SSD improve the speed of loading webpages, make surfing smoother and faster?

Does SSD improve speed of changing programs (Alt Tab) that are already opened on the desktop?

I usually have many excel files and open many browser windows/tabs and other programs on the desktop to do research. I wonder SSD will improve anything when I am actually using the programs.

Thanks.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
webpages: probably nothing you can detect. There is some disk writing of files to local cache, but compared to the download speed this is a fraction of the time.

changing programs: only if your memory is low and this results in paging / disk swap activity. If so, more RAM is really what you need.

Doesn't sound like SSD will have a huge impact on your in-use tasks.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks for all replies.

Does SSD improve the speed of downloading files?

I usually have around 5 or more programs opened on the desktop. The window I am using sometimes feels slow, example when scrolling, it will lag. Will SSD improve the situation?

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

All these issue would inprove if you were to add more memory to your system.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Two more questions, in my pc, when my backup software is running a backup, the pc is very slow and it lags a lot if I try to use programs at the same time. I cannot do other things on my pc while the backup is running.

1 Will SSD improve this situation I am facing? When the backup program is running, will SSD be able to let me do other stuff and let the PC perform smoothly like normal?

2 Will SSD speed up the backup time so the backup will be completed faster?

4745454b

Titan
You seem bound and determined to buy an SSD. Go buy one. You won't be happy until you have it. I agree with whats been said so far, but you keep coming up with excuses to get one. Save yourself the grief, just go get it.

Hard to say whats going on with the backup software. Could be a disk problem, or could be a ram/CPU issue. With ZERO system specs I'd only be guessing.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I am NOT determined to buy an SSD. All I want to know if SSD will improve on the problems that I have asked. I am experiencing all these problems in my current PC.

I am new to this SSD thing. From the SSD demos I can only see that it will improve loading time and shorten the time to open applications. I do not see the answers to my questions, that is why I am asking here. From my past experience, all I know is improving ram and CPU can make a computer faster.

My questions may seem too stupid or simple for SSD gurus. But I am just asking these because I want to know if SSD is beneficial to my needs. I would rather spend the extra money on better graphic cards and ram. I have already decided on a 4GB ram, which is very sufficient for a Win 7 system that I am going to buy.

My current PC specs is Windows XP Home SP3 Pentium 4, 2GB ram. The software is Acronis. It is really slow when I am running the backup.

I am not asking about SSD to put into my current PC. I am asking about SSD to put into a new PC that I am going to buy soon and hope I want to avoid those lags I am experiencing now in my old PC.

If anyone wants to answer the last 2 questions that I have posted, feel free. That's all I need to ask. Thanks all.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Backup is slow because it's got your HD busy. That will probably be true on any system. SSD might help with this issue some. I'd personally say, don't run your backups while you're using the PC.

A new PC will perform way better than your P4 / 2gb system. I built a mid-range system a few months ago: i5 750, not overclocked. 4gb ram, WD caviar black HD, ati 4850 video card. It's great. Yes, it takes 20 or 30 seconds to boot, not 3 seconds, but considering my old PC would chug for 2-3 minutes, I'm pretty happy.

Yep. Multi core plus more RAM will do far more to help his system than an SSD would.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks all. In my P4 PC the motherboard can only support up to 2GB. There is nothing else I can do to improve my P4 PC

gtvr, I am going to buy a PC with similar specs like yours.

i5 760 + asus motherboard
4gb ram
5570 or 5750 graphics card (still deciding)
WD or samsung hd (still deciding)

gtvr, what motherboard are you using?

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

I agree. 4 GB RAM is not a lot of RAM.
Get 6 GB RAm and you will see a difference.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Do you experience any lags in your system? If yes, in what occasion does the lag happens? Thanks.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Playing crysis at 1400 x 900, I think gameplay has lagged a very few times in multiplayer, once in single player, usually when there's a lot of explosions and other stuff going on. Otherwise, very smooth, great game play.

For using the net, most other games, heck running an Oracle server as a VM, it's been great.