Sign in with
Your question

System freezing on windows loading screen or within windows

Last response: in Systems
February 4, 2009 8:12:26 AM

Everytime I reboot my system it either freezes on the windows loading screen or freezes within windows itself. When it windows both mouse and keyboard become unresponsive and I have to shut the system down via the power supply.

I have recently bought a new MB, CPU and RAM while keeping my old HD, GPU and PSU. My system build setup is:

M2N32-sli Deluxe
Gefore 7950GT
AMD2 64 x2 5600+ dual core processor
2x2gb samsung DDR2-800, PC2-6400, 800MHz NON-ECC unbuffered RAM
160gb SATA HD (Can't remember make)

I have tried a new CPU a AMD2 64x2 6000+ dual core processor and get the same results. I have also tried the ram in the yellow and black slots and also 1 RAM stick at a time and no change. I know that the HD and GPU are ok as this worked fine in my old rig.

I have checked in my bios to see the temp of my CPU and system and CPU is at 38 degrees while the system is running below 40 degrees so doesn't seem to be a heating issue?

I can only guess that its either incompatible RAM which I have been unable to find an answer on websites if my new RAM is compatible or that the MB is faulty.

Any help on this would be great espcially if you have had the same issues?

Thanks
Paul
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2009 7:37:49 PM

Without a specific part number on the RAM it's hard to say what the correct settings are.

Download CPU-Z and tell us what the main, memory, and SPD tabs say. Post screen shots of them if you can. Don't spam us with the CPU-Z generated report though :)  That thing is about 3 feet long, literally.
February 4, 2009 9:30:56 PM

Did you upgrade the mobo/cpu/ram and leave the OS intact? If so reinstall windows.
Related resources
February 4, 2009 9:40:12 PM

If you did leave the OS intact you don't need to reinstall, just boot to windows CD and repair the OS.
February 5, 2009 1:44:51 AM

You never said what kind of PSU you have.
February 5, 2009 4:04:25 AM

I would Reformatt your system runs like new, i reformat like once a month or sometimes more, which is a bit to much. Whenever u upgrade its always recommended to reinstall for optimal Performance
February 5, 2009 7:29:49 AM

First off thanks for all the replies.

The RAM module on the back of the card is Samsung K4T1G044QQ-ZCF7 (2GB 800Mhz 256x4). I looked on their website at the rams and the only way to find the code is by going into each RAM item as they list their product codes beginning with M which is a pain.

Yep it was running at 1.8v so I raised it to 2.1v. This seemed to work for a couple of hours and I could get into the system fine, but then it froze and all started again.

PSU is a 500w icute model: AP-500M14. Didn't list it before as I said all temps looked fine.

I have to admit I do need to reformat the OS, but still didn't expect to have this issue to start with?

At the moment things have got worse and it is freezing on the motherboard screen and I can't access BIOS due to it?
February 5, 2009 11:08:04 AM

sendor said:
First off thanks for all the replies.

The RAM module on the back of the card is Samsung K4T1G044QQ-ZCF7 (2GB 800Mhz 256x4). I looked on their website at the rams and the only way to find the code is by going into each RAM item as they list their product codes beginning with M which is a pain.

Yep it was running at 1.8v so I raised it to 2.1v. This seemed to work for a couple of hours and I could get into the system fine, but then it froze and all started again.

PSU is a 500w icute model: AP-500M14. Didn't list it before as I said all temps looked fine.

I have to admit I do need to reformat the OS, but still didn't expect to have this issue to start with?

At the moment things have got worse and it is freezing on the motherboard screen and I can't access BIOS due to it?

It does sound like a hardware error, re-installing windows may work in the short term but is then likely to be corrupted again. I suggest you download memtest which will test your RAM for errors. Make sure the motherboard has set the timings correctly on your RAM as well.
February 5, 2009 12:21:02 PM

I will do that. However before I buy those if I was to format my OS do you think it should run with those items?

Reason I ask is I don't want to go out and buy extra ram only to find out that the Mobo is faulty?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2009 5:57:08 PM

Do a fresh install of Windows before you buy anything.
February 6, 2009 9:59:01 AM

Has anyone been able to establish if this RAM is valid for my Mobo?

I have seen replies saying its poor RAM and thats fine, but would for any reason this RAM not work on my system? It is DDR2 so would assume that its compatible, but I notice its not listed on the RAM list on the Asus website for my Mobo?
February 6, 2009 5:55:24 PM

Tried to re-install windows and I can't. Either it gets to the motherboard logo and the image is all torn or it gets to the windows setup screen and then freezes. What can I do now?
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2009 7:55:26 PM

You have to start swapping out parts or testing them in other systems. RAM, MB, PSU, video card.
July 4, 2009 12:53:09 PM

So, Sendor, did you resolve the problem?
What was causing it? Was it the ram?

I'm asking as I'm having some problems with a new build as well, and I also have the exact same ram as you, so I'd like to know if the ram was indeed the problem.

Thanks,

Vorrin
July 28, 2010 9:55:31 AM

If anyone comes across this in a Google search for the RAM (K4T1G044QQ-ZCF7) as I did - as far as I know, it is high-density (the '256x4' gives it away) & hence not very compatible with the majority of motherboards/chipsets.

Replace with the low-density variety & you should be fine - provided everything else works of course. If it still doesn't work, then change to the RAM's operating voltage in the BIOS - as has already been suggested.

By the way, most RAM one can buy in the stores is the low-density type. If unsure, visit the manufacturer's website & check the finer details. Most low-density RAM will have an arrangement like 512x64 / 256x64 / 128x64 / 64x64 / similar. Notice the much wider difference between 1st & 2nd number with the high-density stuff: 256x4 / 128x4 / similar.

Beware of auction sites, where a large chunk of the RAM sold is of the high-density variety, & often not mentioned anywhere in the description. Stick with well-known brands & especially part numbers & you should be OK.
!