twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
First custom built, was running smoothly, and now, only during World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King gameplay, it randomly freezes. but just the game, the mouse still moves, with the same cursor as the in-game mouse, and the sound still works. hitting alt+tab, windows logo+tab, and even ctrl+alt+delete have no effect. Only way to fix so far is to shut down and restart. havent had a crash in anything else than WoW.

Setup

i7 920 (not overclocked) 30c with realtemp 2.9
6gb gskill 1333 ram 3 x 2gb
Gigabyte ud4p
500gb WD HDD with OS, 1TB WD Green HDD
EVGA 9800GTX+ and BFG 9800GTX+ in SLI, using 3-way SLI Bridge
TAGAN BZ 800w Modular PSU
Antec 900 Case so good airflow

If anybody can shed some light it would be very helpful considering i am paying 15/mo for this dumb addicting game. thank you in advance

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I would try using only a single video card for starters. Im not sure how well SLI is supported by WoW. The rest of your machine looks OK.

The other option is to go outside when your PC crashes from WoW... :p
Like I should talk, 12 years of MMOs, currently on WAR.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
When a freeze happens and your forced to reboot check this:

go to control panel > Admin tools > Event Viewier > Application (Also check system)

Look for errors that might be related to world of warcraft or vidoe card issues. This might help shed some light on the problem.

Also make sure to update your video card drives.

Also try downloading rivatuner. Make sure that your graphic cards aren't overheating. Also check in cpu temps if you can. Might be an overheating issue.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
If you're using a Vista+WLAN setup the you'll get a lagspike every 60 seconds on the dot that will cause everything to freeze. It's caused by autodiscovery and unlike XP where you could do a quick regedit to fix, the only solution I've found is a 3rd party app called WLANOptimizer.

As mentioned before the SLI could also very well be the culprit. WoW was notorious for having issues with both SLI and Crossfire for a long time. I was under the impression that it had been ironed out, but might want to hit the WoW Tech Support forums to see.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
k thanks guys, ill try the SLI problem. other than that, my temps are always fine, did a prime95 for CPU, and played Crysis for 2 hours with neither of the video cards going above 60c. im not using a WLAN, im connected via eithernet.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
i asked World of Warcraft Technical Support and they answered with the fact that World of Warcraft does not support SLI, so all who trying to play World of Warcraft in SLI, and experiencing computer crashes/freezes, you need to disable SLI. Thanks everybody for the insight, and hope this info helps somebody else who's having the same problem i did.