ASUS M3A79-T having problems posting

sgtbhaji

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I am in the middle of a new build and I’m experiencing some strange problems.

The machine booted up first time without a problem when I first put it together yesterday and ran for about an hour. I started to tinker in the bios to configure a raid 1 array and then entered the raid setup utility to assign the drives. After that when I rebooted the system it failed to post. I powered the system down, powered it back up and it came back in fine. I started to install the Vista 64 and it hung after initially loading files from the DVD. I powered down the system but this time it refused to post at all.

I cleared the CMOS using the jumper, plugged it back up and a came back up. Set the drives back to raid in the bios, started the install again and it hung at the exact same point as before.

Since then it has pretty much refused to post other than the odd occasion. On one post I got the message ‘CMOS Battery is low’.

After that… I stripped down the system having only the CPU and cooler hooked up. First time it posted and I got the no memory beeps. I plugged in a memory stick and got the No Video beeps. At this point I thought I was golden. I shut it down and started it once again without the video card and once again it wouldn’t post.

I have tried clearing the CMOS multiple times, I have done it by removing the battery and switching the jumper. After a clear it normally posts once, then when I put in the memory it fails to post again. I have tried a spare battery in the CMOS to see if that was the issue but that doesn’t seem to make any difference either.

It’s really strange that it will post once after everything has been cleared and the power unhooked for a while but then not on consecutive attempts. I have tried it with 1 stick of 512 Kingston value ram 667 and one stick of 2gb OCZ 1066 with exactly the same results.

While it was running for the first hour a mainly watched the CPU and Board temps. The CPU was sitting at 45 degrees which I thought was a bit high, but I was going to check the seating of the heatsink. But it wasn’t getting to burning temps.

Here’s the components:
ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION Agena 2.6GHz
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm Heatsink
OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2
MSI R4870 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI
2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB
hec ACE-580UB 580W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Could it be the PSU that is just garbage? Any advice is gratefully received!

sgtbhaji

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Here’s some additional info. For the last hour I have been unplugging the PSU from the mains and letting it sit for about 10 minutes. When I plug it back up and try to start up it posts fine the first time (still no memory in so getting to 1 long 2 short beeps). Then after that… nothing. But if I let it sit again then voila it posts.

when it POSTs first time is it loading an idiot proof set up where the cpu and ram are down clocked ? Most mb's do this from new to give you a chance to catch badly installed heat sinks etc etc

When you POST again it might then be trying for full speed on cpu and RAM . First thing to check would be RAM timing and voltages .

Try with minimum RAM and one hdd

sgtbhaji

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
That's kind of where I'm stuck. I as soon as I add any RAM it fails to post again and I'm unable to enter the bios to change any settings.

Right now it's out of the case with just the cpu plugged in, even without the memory it fails to post most times.

I'll go hook up the graphics card and put one stick in again to see if I can at least get anything.

I don't know if you saw my post above yours as I posted it just before you. Any cloes on that one?

Thanks for the assistance!

sgtbhaji

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009

I just tried it with one stick of RAM and the graphics card. I'd had power unhooked for a while and it came up first time. I entered the bios but didn't change any settings (just booted with an old 512 in there) When I left the bios it wouldn't reboot. I powered it off and then powered it back up and got nothing at all. This time, the CPU fan was moving at about half speed as it would on a normal boot.

sgtbhaji

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I also just tried with a BFG 650 watt PSU and exactly the same issue as before. Following a CMOS clear I get the 1 long 2 short beeps. I restart it and get nothing. Sometimes the CPU fan is only running at half speed after the second boot and if I let it sit without power to the PSU for a little while, it will start once.

The one time that I did get it to run today, it hung when I entered the bios.

(btw… sorry for all the posts. Just trying to pass on all the info I have).

sgtbhaji

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Even after a CMOS reset I couldn't get the the thing to stand up long enough to flash the bios. I found a few articles here and there that pointed to other people having similar issues so I requested an RMA and got it returned.

I'm currently waiting on the replacement to arrive and hoping that I have some beter luck wih that.

Thanks for the responses.

sgtbhaji

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Yep.. sorry about that. I may have gotten my codes back to front in my post. There's only so many beeps (or lack there of) before you go nuts. :)

I didn't call Asus but I did post on their boards and got zip in the way of a reply.

I got my replacement board and so far everything looks good with the same hardware. I have no clue what was going on with the previous board but it was a royal pain in the backside for sure.

Thanks again for your responses.