Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking pentium 4 3ghz

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
August 11, 2010 5:25:56 PM

Hi I completely new to overclocking, but have decided to use my current (and very slow) pc to learn how to overclock a pc.

I have read some guides, and hAave learned l little about how to overclock a CPU and a GPU.

but I am a completely novice, and i have no idea if i can overclock my current pc.
my system is this:

Asus 478 p4c800-e deluxe (intel i478p chipset) bios 1023.001
pentium 4 3ghz

Radeon HD 3850 AGP

2 gb pc2700 166mhz ram (kingston)

Windows 7 32bit

so a little help on what and how to overclock my CPU would be appreciated.

don't know about the RAM (sounds pretty complicated)

my GPU is pretty straight forward as i will use ATI overdrive (besides i suspect the AGP 8 slot is a bottleneck anyway, as well as my CPU)

P.S. If anyone could help on how to monitor cpu heat, and some advice on cooling (also for cpu's like i5 750 or i7 870), and some benchmark tools would be great!

More about : overclocking pentium 3ghz

a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 4:49:03 PM

Dude, here.

Your oc depends on motherboard. Do you have an oc compatible motherboard?

Oc'ing p4 isn't a problem. if i have that proc, i can with my mb oc it till 3.5ghz safely on stock cooling.
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 4:51:23 PM

Yo have a proc with pin, i.e the better one are pin-less (lga 775).

your board i guess supports oc'ing. but its manual, and you have to read more to get it in.
August 23, 2010 5:53:28 PM

TBH, It depends on which P4 you have, what type of cooling, etc. If you have a northwood B (2.4ghz) it is definitely possible, the A was a little wekaer and I believe the C is about on par with the B. It has been so long since I dealt with this chip/chipset that it is a little vague to me. I will try to find the sticky that used to be in the forums dedicated to the P4.

I will say that I had mine at a stable 3.17GHz (when I still had one) with water cooling, but that wasnt pushing it too high.

Let em see if I can find that how to for you.
August 23, 2010 6:22:01 PM

Well I looked for a bit but it was such an old thread I can not find it, it was before the software upgrade for the forums, so it didnt remain as a sticky. So I am basically going off of memory here (so take it for what it is)...

The main thing with OCing the 478 chipset (depending on if the bios allowed you to do it.) is this.

1st: you want to raise you FSB 5 mhz, at a time and test stability afterwards with prime95 or something similar to that. At the point that your system fails to boot, reset the BIOS and set you FSB to 5-10 MHz below the failure point.

2nd: increase the voltages to RAM and CPU by small increments. After slightyly raising your voltages. go back to step 1 and again increase until system failure; after failure reset the bios and lower it 5-10 MHz for stability and test again.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat... I dont know what your max clock would be but be reasonable, if you just want to get it to 3GHz, then I say do that. I wouldnt push your voltages too high because it might cause CPU damage.

Alternately, if you would like to go for higher clocks, after your reach your max FSB to Voltage, if your multiplier is unlocked you can lower that (effectively lower the stress on the ram/cpu) and repaet step 1 to fine tune to the highest possible clock.

Like I said, that is from memory so I apologise if that is vague. However, if you just want to reach 3Ghz, this should suffice.

Good Luck,
Cam
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 6:31:45 PM

^ his stock is already on 3ghz :S

Cooling depends on chassis. Otherwise mod your current. drill holes, install fans 120mm to be exact. use push/pull configurations and done.
August 23, 2010 6:32:21 PM

mrface said:
Well I looked for a bit but it was such an old thread I can not find it, it was before the software upgrade for the forums, so it didnt remain as a sticky. So I am basically going off of memory here (so take it for what it is)...

The main thing with OCing the 478 chipset (depending on if the bios allowed you to do it.) is this.

1st: you want to raise you FSB 5 mhz, at a time and test stability afterwards with prime95 or something similar to that. At the point that your system fails to boot, reset the BIOS and set you FSB to 5-10 MHz below the failure point.

2nd: increase the voltages to RAM and CPU by small increments. After slightyly raising your voltages. go back to step 1 and again increase until system failure; after failure reset the bios and lower it 5-10 MHz for stability and test again.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat... I dont know what your max clock would be but be reasonable, if you just want to get it to 3GHz, then I say do that. I wouldnt push your voltages too high because it might cause CPU damage.

Alternately, if you would like to go for higher clocks, after your reach your max FSB to Voltage, if your multiplier is unlocked you can lower that (effectively lower the stress on the ram/cpu) and repaet step 1 to fine tune to the highest possible clock.

Like I said, that is from memory so I apologise if that is vague. However, if you just want to reach 3Ghz, this should suffice.

Good Luck,
Cam

You've misread I believe, his processor is 3.0GHz at stock, not looking to overclock to 3 GHz.
August 23, 2010 6:39:26 PM

Grr.... my bad I see now was reading to quick.

[/disregard, old man syndrome]
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 6:47:24 PM

^ correction

[/disregard, moderator syndrome]

and to OP, whats the modle of your processor? Download CPU_z to check all info, and Get HW Monitor (or HW Monitor Pro) to check temperatures. Get gpu_z for gpu clocks/info. PC Wizard to get detailed PC specification or get Everest (paid).
August 23, 2010 6:50:30 PM

:D  touche!

Pretty sure his would be the prescott, but not sure :?

And I believe everest does have a trial (I paid for it but dont remember correctly and cant go to the site from work.)
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 6:55:41 PM

^ There's more to "prescott" Sir...
August 24, 2010 6:19:57 AM

Wow that was a lot of response on a thread i had allmost forgotten about ;) 

A Little update: It turned out my RAM was too slow for an effective overclock, as it has a clockspeed of 166mhz, and my fsb is 200, with a muliplyer of 15.

So I tried to increase thw speed of my RAM, but that only made it unstable, and increasing the voltage did nothing to help that problem.

So I was basicly stuck with a CPU that couldn't be overclocked withj the current RAM installed (and I had NO intentions on investing any money on it)

So that sort of ended it all, I learned a bit ( which was the real target) hav learned to use programs like Furmark, CPUZ, Prime95 and PC-wizard.

So thanks for the responses anyway :) 
!