Last response: in Systems
February 4, 2009 7:10:00 PM

Okay, so just put together a new build with:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P mobo
Intel 8500 dual core
EVGA 9800GTX
Antec 500W 2 rails at 22A each
New Rosewill case

So I hook it all up, boot it up for the first time, everything powers on except for vid card. So I look to see what's wrong, realize I didn't plug the 6 pin PCI-E from the power supply into the vid card. So I unplug comp and all, plug in the PCI-E, and try to boot up again. Since then, it will power on, and then power off before getting anywhere, and continue to do that nonstop. I'm not necessarilly extremely tech savvy, but I'm assuming either 500W is not enough, or my mobo may be a dud.

I tried to boot it up again without the vid card plugged in, and it has the same problem of going on/off nonstop.

Any ideas? I'd like to know soon so I can RMA soon if necessary.

Thanks!

More about : build boot

February 4, 2009 7:21:15 PM

500W Antec could be a bit light, but it should boot fine.

Your RAM is not listed, and a prime suspect.

Do this though:

New build didn't boot checklist

1. Did you plug in the 4/8 pin power connector to the board, located near the CPU?

2. Did you install the standoffs under the motherboard? Did you place them so that they all align with the screw holes in the motherboard, with no standoffs touching the board in the wrong place?

3. Did you verify that the video card is fully seated? (may require more force than a new builder expects.)

4. Did you attach all the required power connectors to the video card? (some need two, some need none, many need one.)

5. Did you verify that all memory modules are fully inserted? (may require more force than a new builder expects.)

6. Did you remove the plastic guard over the CPU socket? (this actually comes up occasionally.)

7. If using an after market CPU cooler, did you get any cooling paste on the board? Did you use the smallest amount you could?

8. Is the CPU fan plugged in?

9. If using a stock cooler, was the thermal material on the base of the cooler free of foreign material, and did you remove any protective covering?

10. Are any loose screws laying on the motherboard, or jammed against it?
m
l
February 4, 2009 7:54:03 PM

+1 to Proximon's list. His list should be a sticky. There are multiple posts every day about new builds not posting. The #1 list item is the cause most of the time. Not setting the RAM timings/voltage in the BIOS is probably the second most common problem.
m
l
Related resources
February 4, 2009 7:56:53 PM

You have my permission to steal my list, make improvements, and post it :) 

I'll even bug a forum mod to get him to sticky it :p 
m
l
February 4, 2009 8:14:27 PM

Agreed that should be a sticky, wouldn't have needed to post if I found that earlier, thanks a ton Proximon. Currently going through the steps and I'll post the results.

The ram is two DDR2 2 gig sticks of GSkill.

Okay, so I checked everything on the list, and unfortunately, I managed to avoid making any of those mistakes.

So no I power it up, and some LEDs go on on the Mobo, the back and front fans of the case turn on, the vid card fan is turning on. The CPU fan appears to want to start, but the comp shuts down before it can. Then like I said, it will try to boot back up 2 seconds later, before shutting down again, and then try to boot up again, etc until I shut off the PSU.

So I'm somewhat stumped, any ideas?
m
l
February 4, 2009 8:18:21 PM

Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM installed? (Try each stick of RAM individually in each RAM slot.)

Proximon - How does this look?

New build didn't boot checklist

1. Did you carefully read the motherboard owners manual?

2. Did you plug in the 4/8 pin CPU power connector to the board, located near the CPU?

3. Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM installed? (Try each stick of RAM individually in each RAM slot.) If you can get the system to boot, it's a good idea to manually set the RAM timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS.

4. Did you install the standoffs under the motherboard? Did you place them so that they all align with the screw holes in the motherboard, with no standoffs touching the board in the wrong place?

5. Did you verify that the video card is fully seated? (may require more force than a new builder expects.)

6. Did you attach all the required power connectors to the video card? (some need two, some need none, many need one.)

7. Did you verify that all memory modules are fully inserted? (may require more force than a new builder expects.)

8. Did you remove the plastic guard over the CPU socket? (this actually comes up occasionally.)

9. If using an after market CPU cooler, did you get any cooling paste on the board? Did you use the smallest amount you could?

10. Is the CPU fan plugged in?

11. If using a stock cooler, was the thermal material on the base of the cooler free of foreign material, and did you remove any protective covering? If the stock cooler has push-pins, did you ensure that all four pins snapped securely into place? (The easiest way to install the push-pins is outside the case sitting on a non-conductive surface like the motherboard box. Read the instructions! The push-pins should be turned the OPPOSITE direction as the arrows.)

12. Are any loose screws laying on the motherboard, or jammed against it?

13. Did you ensure you discharged all static electricity before touching any of your components?

14. Did you install the system speaker so you can check beep-codes in the manual?
m
l
February 4, 2009 8:29:45 PM

I like it :)  I have to go make money now, but if you make a post and link to it here I won't miss it, and will message a mod.

I know that RAM settings are very common, but I worry that someone would keep trying to boot the PC with a short somewhere. I think shorts should come first.
m
l
February 4, 2009 8:31:22 PM

Grunny, link the exact G.skill from newegg if you can. Possibly the RAM is undervolted.
m
l
February 4, 2009 8:33:33 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's the RAM.

I tried to boot up with one stick, and now things seem to be worsening, as nothing is happening at all. No 2 seconds of working or anything.

I was careful with static, made sure none of my screwdrivers were magnetized, followed mobo manual carefully.
m
l
February 4, 2009 8:36:47 PM

You'll have to start swapping parts. Try building out of the box... gotta run, but shortstuff will help.
m
l
February 4, 2009 8:38:26 PM

Thanks so much for your help Proximon, I really appreciate you taking your time. I'm thinking of completely unbuilding and rebuilding the rig from the ground up.
m
l
February 5, 2009 5:15:19 AM

Yeah, basically. Build outside the case on a cardboard box. Just hook up the PSU, CPU and 1 stick RAM with nothing else, see what it does.
m
l
February 6, 2009 2:25:59 AM

Okay, I'm out of town until Saturday, so I won't be able to try this until then. Please don't delete this thread, I will post back on Saturday.

Thanks again!
m
l
!