Need replacement for HP 6600 Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherneck1954

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I have a 5 year old HP z555 Digital Entertainment System PC that no longer outputs VGA or DVI video. Problem is not cable or monitor!
The HP part number on the card is 5187-7625.
HP website also lists this part with PCA NV43LRPC BEARCAT GF6600TNP.
HP does NOT stock or order the part.
HP uses proprietory video cards and mother boards in their pc's which makes finding replacement or compatable parts not much fun.

I searched the web for both part descriptions and found only 1 online source, but they have not returned my e-mail request for a price.

Can somebody point me in the right direction to find this part? or let me know what could be compatible?

HP wants approximately $300.00 U.S. to replace a $29.95 dollar part.

have a good un

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
well if you just checked the obvious then you wouldn't need to post such garbage.

5 years ago the nvidia 6600 was the king of the FPS per $ so please don't post your garbage about
HP uses proprietory video cards

side note your motherboard isnt half bad it sports a full PCI-e x16 which means pretty much any card can work on this motherboard. BUT you need to remember the limitations of the case itself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102817

that card is your best bet and for 40$ is not a bad buy.

something more powerful

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814141080

70$ gets you the speed to render Blue-ray without slight stutter
please remember to uninstall old drivers BEFORE you install a new product.

leatherneck1954

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

What we need are more smart mouths like you trying to help. to me this post is not garbage! I did check the obvious, but not being the all wise person that you are I looked for some more help.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
recheck my original post, i added another card to the list.

its sunday and im at work........ smart ass reply's supplement my lack of coffee.

cheers

leatherneck1954

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
ok macer thanks for the info! you are right about the limitations of the case. The info on the 2 cards you gave me and the nvidia card I found have the dvi & vga ports on the card. The hp 6600 card has the dvi port on the card and the vga port mounted on the case and next to the card. so I need a direct replacement.

must be rough having to work and getting all grouchy and crabby with people looking for info. Way back in the dark corners of what little mind I have left I remember having to work and I onlly got gruchy and crabby with my wife. hehehe lol

Well you should be able to use a low profile Radeon 4550 on this thing with one DVI port on the card and the vga connected by a ribbon cable. You're going to have to remove the old vga port on your case of course and you will loose out on those extra output connectors that go to your video card. You'll have to use the Svideo out on the card itself and use an svid to component adapter to use component out. This Sapphire 4550 should be just the card for you

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102799

It even comes with the s-video to component out adapter for only $60.00. The passively cooled version is like $10 cheaper and seems to come with an HDMI out, but no svid or component

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102819

leatherneck1954

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

hey macer1
here is a good question for you. hope you have your morning coffee in you and ready to go.

"please remember to uninstall old drivers BEFORE you install a new product." quoting your post.

My question: how do you uninstall old drivers BEFORE you install a new product when there is no video output to a monitor?

Now is that question garbage? I bet nobody asked that before?

have a good un
and cheers

leatherneck1954

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

I looked at both cards and as with all of the other low profile cards the mounting bracket is full length.
The hp card is low profile with a low profile mounting bracket. the dvi port is on the card and the vga port is cabled with a short cable and connector to a position at the side of the video card.
The HP digital entertainment center case is designed to fit in a stereo cabinet and lays horizontal on a shelf vs a standard case that is designed to stand upright vertical on a desk or the floor.
so thanks for the leads and I will continue to follow up on all information anyone can supply.

codemicro sold the last hp card they had in stock 5 minutes before I called.

leatherneck1954

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

duh, sometimes I try so hard to find the hard way to do something that I fail to look at the easy right way.
thanks

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
NP, we all do it. Sometimes when you're staring at a problem for hours on end you miss the obvious because you've tried every step under the sun.

leatherneck1954

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Solution to Proprietory Video Card replacemet.
After almost 3 days of web searching, email's and phone calls I gave up on trying to find an HP Proprietory Video Card for my HP z555 Digital Entertainment Center. Nobody including HP has a HP new or refurb replacement card and cant find one.
I decided on trying a low cost, low profile Galaxy GeForce 8400 from the Egg for $19.95 after discount and rebate. This card came with a standard bracket and 2 low profile brackets that I thought would work in the case. I went with the lowest cost card with low performance because I was not totally sure the problem was the video card. The HP z555 also uses a Proprietory Mother Board.

The card works great!!!!!! None of the brackets are direct fits so there is no way to line up a screw to fasten the card tightly to the case.
The card also came with a cabled VGA connector so I was able to fasten the VGA connector to the case next to the card.
The card also has s-video out. I lost use of the RCA composite and component video outputs because they were cabled from the HP card to a separte location on the case.

My lesson from this is to not buy pc from a company that uses proprietory parts for their systems because they do not support the system and there are no compatable after market parts available. I could not find out which manufacturer made the card for HP.

gmonstah

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
A couple of months ago i tackled the same problem. Came up with basically the same solution.

You may not want to go through the trouble anymore, but...I removed the bracket from the original card and reused it on the replacement (Asus en8400gs, probably similar to yours). I hope that once you realize the possibility you can work it out for yourself. Kind of a pain to explain.

I know it's a little late to be adding my 2 cents, but better late than never.

Gmonstah

leatherneck1954

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

I did try the hp bracket but th dvi port is not exactly in the same spot on the new card as the dvi on the old card, sooo I had to grind down 1 of the new brackets to make it fit. dont believe hp does not support the pc parts in so short a time.
thanks for trying with the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.