jormar6

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I just bought a Sony Vaio laptop with vga and hdmi hook ups, and want to do power point presentations in my church using a projector only slated for vga, I would like to use hdmi somehow since my vaio is also a blueray player. What should i do?

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
theres no point if u send a signal though the HDMI to the VGA the signal will no longer be high definition. why else would they make a ntotally new video output

high def can go though HDMI and DVI not VGA or S video. plus if u are doing a powerpoint presentation ur blue ray player has nothing to do with it, unless u are planning to play a blue ray movie.

just use a VGA cable and use the VGA socket. or get a projector with HDMI

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
VGA is analog, so HDMI can't send a signal through it. Even if it did it'll be bad quality. Plus the projector is probably only a 720p at the most, and a VGA can do that. Blu-ray has nothing to do with the powerpoint.

Technically, you can do HDMI to DVI, then DVI to VGA, through two adaptors. The problem is you lose quality and VGA might not have enough bandwith for such a large resolution.

I'm a bit confused on the question: you have both a VGA and HDMI connection, and want to use both a VGA and HDMI connection?

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
just use VGA, to play the blue ray properly, you would reqire the projector to support HDCP, which if it doesn't have HDMI or DVI it doesn't support it.

By the way. VGA does have enough bandwidth for Hidef, as it can esaily go to 1920*1200, how ever as it is purely analog, it is unable to support the conent protection.