Sign in with
Your question

Did I fry my CPU?

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 6:47:14 PM

So recently (because I'm a dumb idiot) I decided to overclock my CPU just a slight bit, because I had it at 25 degrees idle and thought that overclocking it a bit probably wouldn't hurt.

Why I decided to overclock I don't know, because it wasn't even necessary. My computer is crazy fast as it is (was?).

So my problem is that I hardly don't know anything about voltage and stuff, but now when I've had time to reflect over my actions I kinda realized that I probably made a huge mistake when I edited the voltage to my CPU in the BIOS.

What I did was I highered the CPU voltage from the standard of something like 1.1125 to roughly 2.5000 or whatever it was. Only reason I pushed so much was because it didn't look like such a huge difference (considering the numbers). But I guess I was wrong, and put waaay too much voltage, and probably fried my cpu?

Well anyways back to the scene of the accident. I edited the voltage (to 2.5000 like I said), saved the settings and exited the BIOS. The computer restarted, and then immidiately shut down after about 2 seconds. Then it turned on again (by itself), then turned off again, and on again, and off and so on. It kept going on and off by itself like it was possesed, so I just turned it off myself so that it would stop.

Then I waited a few seconds and turned it on again. But no, same thing happened. It went nuts and started going on and off like before. I thought maybe it was because my PSU couldn't handle that much voltage, so I tried clearing my CMOS with the "CLR_CMOS" thingies that u have to touch with a screwdriver. But no, that didn't help either.

When I checked inside the case I saw that the cpu cooler only goes on for like a split of half a second, while the other fans go on for atleast about 1 second (I know it's not a lot more but the CPU fan hardly starts spinning at all, it only like nudges) before the computer shuts off.

Have I fried my CPU? Or is it something else?>.< (please tell me there's a way out of this)

THanks in advance.

My specs:

Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3,0 Ghz
Gigabyte EP35-DS4
2 gig Kingston DDR2
Gigabyte GeForce 9800GTX 512mb GDDR3

More about : fry cpu

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 6:52:20 PM

That 'tweak' is way over 100% more than original voltage,
I would be surprised if you hadn't fried it tbh and possibly ruined the Mobo and Ram as well,
given your lack of experience I would take it to a local repair centre for assessment,
Please dont try to 'fix' anything else in there and fry yourself :p 
Moto
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 6:57:36 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
That 'tweak' is way over 100% more than original voltage,
I would be surprised if you hadn't fried it tbh and possibly ruined the Mobo and Ram as well,
given your lack of experience I would take it to a local repair centre for assessment,
Please dont try to 'fix' anything else in there and fry yourself :p 
Moto

Crap..........................

I had a gr8 computer one day, the next day I have nothing:'( (
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 7:03:48 PM

Sorry man, but like tuning cars and bikes, the power comes at a risk,
see what your repairguy says, and if you do need a new build, post on here and well try to help you trim the cost,
if nothing else, you've learned some very important lessons of overclocking,
tiny tiny increments at a time, and know what your doing (and the risk it carries)
Moto
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 7:13:11 PM

Ya I know, I learnt my lesson.

But the thing is, I do know about overclocking (not like hardcore overclockers, but I know how everything works), and I've done overclocking before. The only problem is that I mindlessly altered the cpu voltage without giving any second thoughts whatsoever, I just did it. If I would have stopped for a second and reflected over what I was about to do, then I wouldn't have done it. Because 2.500 was the max amount of voltage I could pick in the list, so common sense SHOULD have told me to NOT pick that amount of voltage.....

But like I said, I just did it without thinking, which I usually never do. It's because I hadn't overclocked for like over 2 years (I've had my computer for 3 years without any problems whatsoever and never felt any need to overclock more than it already was), so I guess I got kinda carried away because of the long break from overclocking my computer.

Well *** happens I guess, I've learnt my lesson so now I have a reason NOT to let this happen again.

EDIT: Thanks for ur input though Moto. I guess I have no choice but to buy a new CPU and possibly even new RAM and MOBO, if it is like u said. Atleast my computer has served me for a good 3 years, so I suppose it was just about time to upgrade anyways (even though I didn't even need to seeing as how I can/could play all the latest games at full graphix). It's sad though, because I was more than satisfied with my computer, I didn't see myself upgrading for atleast another year. I even played Starcraft II at 1920x1200 reso and Ultra graphix with more than a playable framerate.
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 7:25:20 PM

Take the CPU out and have a look underneath. See if it's black, and if any pins are black or melted... possibly, remove CMOS batter and unplug your PSU and let it sit for 10 minutes, then try to boot up into the BIOS. Generally the auto rebooting is normal for a failed OC.

But then, that is a rediculous amount of voltage... I'm sure you know better now but honestly most of the time 0.2V is considered a lot in a PC...

Anyway if the mobo is fine but the CPU is dead, at least you can upgrade to a better CPU. I'd suggest what moto said and just bring it in to have it diagnosed. Might not be too bad... but hard to say... could be totaly gone.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 7:39:06 PM

wolfram23 said:
Take the CPU out and have a look underneath. See if it's black, and if any pins are black or melted... possibly, remove CMOS batter and unplug your PSU and let it sit for 10 minutes, then try to boot up into the BIOS. Generally the auto rebooting is normal for a failed OC.

But then, that is a rediculous amount of voltage... I'm sure you know better now but honestly most of the time 0.2V is considered a lot in a PC...

Anyway if the mobo is fine but the CPU is dead, at least you can upgrade to a better CPU. I'd suggest what moto said and just bring it in to have it diagnosed. Might not be too bad... but hard to say... could be totaly gone.

Thing is I still haven't checked the CPU, I will soon. But I have this GIGANTIC like 2kg cpu cooler, it's huge I'm not even kidding. And I just couldn't be bothered to remove it as I was fairly certain my CPU was ruined. But I guess I should remove it just to make sure, since I'm anywyas gonna have to remove it at some point. But what if none of the pins are black or melted, and it looks completely normal, then what? Does it mean that my CPU isn't broken?

Also, I tried removing the CMOS Battery (I kept it unplugged for for only 1 minute though and then put it back). But does it really make a difference if I keep the battery unplugged for 10 minutes rather than 1 minute?
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 7:47:53 PM

Well the pads being burned would just be a surefire indication that it's toast. But even if they look clean there might still be internal issues.

It might help to leave the CMOS battery out for longer. It just makes sure all capacitors and everything have drained. And unplug the PSU like I said, as that will still give a little current to the mobo.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 7:55:20 PM

You are now faced with a dilemma. Your voltage exploits could have fried any or all of three parts, and the ONLY way to find out for sure if any are OK is to swap with known-working parts.

If you don't have those parts laying around, you need someone who might, like a repair shop.

Or you can decide that you're not going to replace even one single part because you will be investing in old tech. Then you just gut the case and put a new cpu/mobo/memory in. And maybe an OS, depending.

BTW, I mean this to be helpful, not critical: if you walk away from this saying you know about OCing, then I'm afraid you haven't yet internalized the lesson.
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 9:08:45 PM

ahahha AWSOME!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 9:10:32 PM

Fetal said:
ahahha AWSOME!

F**king douche >.<
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 9:15:46 PM

^ even censored abuses are not allowed. be careful, i might report you if you go up a notch.

:/ 

i said awesome as in to the whole thread and replies. mostly on your mistakes (what happened is what you deserved)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 9:38:46 PM

i r iz happy faec lolz=D
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2010 12:51:55 AM

Better be =D
!