I5 750 Overclock on Stock Cooler

RuthlessMurder

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I plan on building a system soon and plan on doing a very small overclock to the stock cpu. I am thinking a 140 BCLK. I am guessing the CPU should be stable at that point seeing as it will only be 200mhz faster. Will I be ok using the stock cooler and doing such a minor overclock? This is my first overclock, but not my first system to build so I want to take it slow.

My second question is how difficult would it be to safely remove the stock heatsink from the CPU? I plan on taking the BCLK to 160 later on and I know I will need another heatsink when that time comes. What type of motion would I need to make in order to get the heatsink safely off? I have had to take off a heatsink before and I need to kind of twist it while pulling. Would this be the recommended method?

140 base clock is probably ok, but yeah definitely need aftermarket cooling for any sort of decent OC.

Not entirely sure what you mean... the stock cooler uses push-pins. So first you need to unclip those, and once they're out the only thing sticking it down is the TIM. You could twist or just pull or whatever, it's not a glue or anything and no way you could damage the CPU by pulling a heat sink off, short of smashing down on it.

RuthlessMurder

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Well to clarify for my second question. The twisting motion refers to the technique needed to remove the heatsink from the cpu due to the thermal compound. My last experience was with a socket 478 p4 and to remove the heatsink I had to twist it off after remove the clips and everything else.

I think I may use Arctic Silver with my stock cooler for the 140 overclock.

Thank you for the quick reply.

JohnnyChrist

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

Its not much of an ordeal to remove the heatsink/fan. However, I recommend getting aftermarket cooling even if you don't overclock, it just makes you feel safer. Arctic Silver is good too.

You should be able to reach the desired overclock with the stock cooler, since its a small one.