Hi everyone, I'm new to overclocking.

CPU: Intel Duo Core E7300 @ 2.66ghz
Cooler: stock
Motherboard: ECS GF7050VT-M
GPU: Geforce GTS 250 (512 mb)
Ram: 4 gb
Hard drive: 750gb
PSU: raidmax atx 450w

Is it safe to perform OC procedures with the hardware that i have? If it is, anyone wanna help me get started in any way possible. I read several OC guides but each time i get overwhelmed by the complexity of this task. My main question is that will the stock cooler with my e7300 be able to OC to a nice, stable speed increase. Maybe some around 3.2 ghz? I want to do this so that any gpu upgrade in the future won't require me to upgrade my cpu, thus saving me some cash. This rig is for Starcraft 2 and other mid range pc games.

More about : e7300 stock cooler

August 12, 2010 2:36:43 AM

Go download HWmonitor on www.cpuid.com, then Intel burn test v2.x on guru3d.com.
The stock cooler can hold up until 3.4GHz at max 60~65°c max load, and that depends on the air flow as well.
I once have the same processor and cooler, and that got me to 3.4GHz, just make sure to monitor the temps with HWmonitor when you stress test your computer with intel burn test, and make sure they're under 70~75°c.
But to upgrade ur gpu later, you most likely will need to upgrade ur cpu as well, and that depends what you are going to upgrade and what gpu you're getting. Since a dual core at 2 years ahead might really have disadvantage due to games are leaning to quad cores.
m
l
August 12, 2010 3:06:40 AM

Thanks for the insight, the biggest gpu upgrade i might shoot for in the coming year would be nothing faster than a GTX 460 1 gb. With this in mind I think my dual core can compliment that fine right?
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2010 7:09:00 PM

Erm, for me a GTX260+ above will need a quad core, that's just for me to avoid any bottlenecking, and that depends on the games you play, most games still only utilize 2 cores or 3 cores but for the next 2 years down the road, quad core will be better, since u might upgrade to GTX460 Haha or the next gen cards
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
August 13, 2010 8:10:13 PM

See my answer to your other post about your motherboard.
m
l
!