Help! Only 1 gig rma usable in i7 build!

Infiniteaqua

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Hey so I just built a new computer and installed 6 gigs of ram in my asus rampage 2 extreme motherboard. The ram was ocz gold and every time I check my task manger it says only 1147mb available and the bios only says 2 gig available. I already updated the bios, and tried out each of the three ram modules separately. I am running windows 7 7100 rc. CPU-Z shows I have 6114 mb installed. Help please!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You're using the blue slots, correct?

Infiniteaqua

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Yeah I put the three sticks in the blue dimm slots. I think i am just going to rma the motherboard, I just hope it isn't the memory controller on the cpu... I tested each of the three sticks in the each dimm slot and it only booted if I out a ram stick in c1. All three sticks did work though, so it's probably bad dimm slots i think. Never buying asus again! :fou:

DataCabbitKSW

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
It is possible that the RAM is DOA (bad out of the box). However, before you RMA the RAM (send it back to manufacturer for fixing or replacement), check your BIOS options. Make sure there is not an "OS Install" compatability mode turned on. If there is, it will limit the RAM to only what shows up on one slot, and then further limit what the Operating system can see. Some OS crashed when trying to install on systems that have more than 1GB or 2GB of RAM. So that compatability fix was put into some BIOS options on some boards. Windows Vista and Windows 7 (or Ubuntu or Knoppix, etc) don't have this problem when installing so it is perfectly safe to disable that mode when trying to install modern OS.

HOWEVER, since CPU-Z shows that there are 6GB available, have you checked your system properties? You may only have 1.1GB available in Task Manager, because programs and system cache are taking it up. In the case of system cache, it will release RAM to programs when they request more. Check your system properties panel. Right Click on "My Computer" and choose properties. Towards the bottom, it should say your processor and amount of RAM. If it says 6GB there, you are perfectly fine, and shouldn't worry. If after you make sure that option isn't set, and that Windows only sees 1 or 2 GB, then you might want to have your RAM tested by someone or to RMA it. Possibly the board as well, but one step at a time. You could also post your question over here too: http://tinyurl.com/9fhdl5