My pc will constantly power on and off, never booting.

allisonmo2

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
i have an acer aspire ast160. basic circuit city type from about 1 year ago. it worked more or less fine for that year, until i unhooked it last thursday at work and brough tit home. hooked it back up on sunday (today) and it won't boot now. i hit the power button and forst the acer screen comes on that says del: enter setup f12: boot menu, then after about 5 seconds it goes to a black screen saying verify dmi pool data and the it powers right off and starts all over. the whole process takes about 8 seconds. the motherboard beeps twice, and the fan on top of the cpu chip is on and spinning fast. it said cpu temp 31 degree celcius so i don't think it was overheating. and it wasn't on for 3 days so it wasn't hot to start out with. any suggestions?

allisonmo2

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009

and the lights on the keyboard are on or actually flash off and on depending on what is happening on screen.

If it worked before you moved it, you could have a loose cable. Open the box and check all the cabling. Unplug and reconnect everything.

A bad power supply can also cause those symptoms.

Can you press the [DEL] key and enter the BIOS (Basic Input/Outout System - what your computer calls "Setup"? If you enter the BIOS, while the computer stay there, or does it still do a reset/ reboot cycle?

allisonmo2

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
i tried unplugging and plugging back in everyting i could find and that didn't help. when i go to the setup screen i can stay there all day but whenever i exit out it just power cycles again. so i thought the power supply was okay since i can leave it there forever.