Your question

HeavyLoad + Q9550 = Temperature?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Shutdown
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
May 4, 2009 4:28:52 AM

I built my own system a few weeks ago and installed the stock heatsink wrong. My computer shut down a couple times when loading Crysis and I had it fixed. Now I idle around 40C and when I play games I am around 55C.

I am new to cooling techniques and was wondering, WITHOUT overclocking, what is a healthy idle temp. for the Q9550? When I run the HeavyLoad prog, for a 2.5 minutes, I hit 72C (not right away, toward the end). Is this too hot? Even though I am not overclocking should I buy something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My questions:

1. Do you think there was any damage done to my CPU the 4-5 times it shut down before I had the heatsink attached right?

2. What should my temp. be when running HeavyLoad for a few minutes?

3. What is a HEALTHY idle temp. for the Q9550? Meaning, one that will ideally enable the CPU to have a long life (without OC'ing)?

4. Is TJ Max just the temperature at which the CPU will shut down automatically?

5. Would getting the Xigmatek cooler above enable longer life out of my CPU? Is it adequate if I DO decide to OC in the future?

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

More about : heavyload q9550 temperature

May 4, 2009 4:38:48 AM

the Xigmatek would be a good investment no matter what. will significantly lower your temps as compared to the stock heatsink. I can't really say what is normal, as I have an AMD processor, but 72C does sound quite high. 40C idle sounds OK, but 72C for a stress test just sounds bad to me. Hopefully someone will have more understanding of the Q9550 than I.
May 4, 2009 4:49:56 AM

I have a Q9550. But WCed ... so my temps are really lower. I load @ 40-45c with prime95

This Xigmatek can really help your temp to go down quite a bit.

I dont really think you damaged your CPU cause it may have shut down before damage.

Ill recommand a look at your Bios. and MANUAL only the Vcore for your STOCK use. DONT OC. just lower the Vcore as far as you can without have error when running Prime 95.

Im using 1.2Vcore for 3.65ghz ... I bet you can use less ... Less Vcore=Less heat !
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2009 4:52:42 AM

the last resort said:
the Xigmatek would be a good investment no matter what. will significantly lower your temps as compared to the stock heatsink. I can't really say what is normal, as I have an AMD processor, but 72C does sound quite high. 40C idle sounds OK, but 72C for a stress test just sounds bad to me. Hopefully someone will have more understanding of the Q9550 than I.

I have an Q9550 and in idle is about 29-32 C, and with stres with prime and games is at 40-42C. I have an Zerotherm ZN 120 cooler. And the thermal compound is that what come with the cooler. Sorry for my english im from Romania.
a c 172 à CPUs
May 4, 2009 2:34:15 PM

A brief review of Intel heatsinks: The heatsinks that came with the first generation of C2's was pretty good. You could usually do a 25% OC with stock cooler. The 2nd gen C2's come with a heatsink about half the size of the original. It's good enough for stock but I wouldn't push it that much.

The Xig is an excellent cooler for the money.

I have a Q9550 C1 stepping (old) OC'd to 3.6 GHz. Idle temps are 37 - 45 C. Prime95 load temps are 58 - 61 C. But I have a better than average cooler (TRUE - bought before Xig came out) in a better than average (for cooling) case - Antec 900.

And my computers live in an air-conditioned room, so the ambient temps are pretty good.

For cooling, all of this matters.
May 4, 2009 3:39:16 PM

Room temp have huge effect on idle and load temp ... If my room temp is 5c lower, my load temp goes down by near 5c too.
!