Sign in with
Your question

New 2.5" HDD, Understanding Operating Shock Values + Diagnostic Tool

Last response: in Storage
August 12, 2010 12:04:53 AM

Hi,

I just purchased and installed a WD1600BEKT. I noticed on the Shock Values, it has a pretty high tolerance. 350 g for operating, 1000 g for non-operating (is that idle or actually powered off).

I don't completely understand the terminology, can you give an example of 350 g and 1000 g?

I ask because when I was installing it, while securing it to the notebook, it took a minor 1"-1.5" angled fall, inside the notebook itself. Basically one side of the hdd was already on the notebook body and the opposite just fell in when I lost my grip. (Think a tree falling down after its been cut from its base).

And since its a new hdd, I was going to run diagnostics anyways. Aside from Western Digital's Hard Drive Health Monitor, can you recommend any other freeware diagnostics? If any damage did occur from the tumble, would these diagnostics catch them?
a c 415 G Storage
August 13, 2010 1:13:07 AM

Shock values are tricky to understand because they involve not only the speed at which the object was moving but also the distance over which it's brought to an abrupt halt. You can get a higher G-force by dropping something 1 foot onto a table than you get from a 60MPH collision in a car, because the table is hard and unyielding while the car has a crush zone that's designed to absorb impact.

That having been said, if the drive was not running when you dropped it that inch or so then it's pretty unlikely to be damaged. I'd just do a complete (i.e., non-"quick") format once you've installed it and if there aren't any problems then you're probably good to go. If you still harbour doubts then you could run a utility such as "DiskCheckup" to examine the drive's SMART parameters to see if there were any reallocated sectors - those would indicate unusable areas of the disk.
August 13, 2010 5:46:06 AM

Hmmmm. I installed and re-installed Windows 7 Pro (Sony driver conflicts ) a couple of times. I didn't do a quick format or a complete one, I just let the installer run.

But I did run Western Digital's Diagnostic. I also ran DriveFitnessTest + SeaTools (both are hard drive Dos Based diagnostics) and some of those tests incorporate the S.M.A.R.T. check.

I passed all 3 tests without absolutely zero issues.

But just to double check - how necessary was that Complete Format you were talking about? I ask because I'm a bit hesitant to reinstall the OS again (Sony notebooks are an incredible pain to deal with, when Sony doesn't officially support Windows 7)..

If I passed the 3 tests without flaw, is it okay to avoid that Complete Format?

**also wouldn't chkdsk do the same thing in terms of testing as a complete formatting of the hdd?
a c 415 G Storage
August 13, 2010 2:12:47 PM

The reason I suggested a non-"Quick" format was because it will write to every block and verify that it wrote OK. But if the other tests came up clean I wouldn't worry about it.
!