Sign in with
Your question

First time overclocker here. Please help me OC my Intel Q6700

Last response: in Overclocking
August 12, 2010 6:30:21 AM

So, as you can see, I am new at this. I would like to attempt to overclock my CPU to a *safe* speed.

My motherboard is a gigabyte EP45-UD3L.

My CPU is an Intel q6700, (engineer sample, my brother in law is a design engineer at Intel and gives me a new CPU every couple years or so). 6 gigs of RAM. Windows 7 Ultimate.

my fan is here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

my motherboard has the "intelligent tweaker" feature

the screens can be seen here

any help would be greatly appreciated! I guess I need some diagnostic tools like everest, memtest 86, etc?

thank you so very much. Again, I am not looking to break any records or do anything insane...just get the CPU up to the highest level of performance that can be attained safely with reliability.
a c 172 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
August 12, 2010 6:53:14 AM

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

Next stop:
Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Warning - confusion factor between what the BIOS calls things and what CPUZ calls things. What the BIOS calls "memory frequency" is actually the memory clock. What CPUZ calls "memory frequency" is half the memory clock - DDR2 RAM, remember? It transfers two chunks of data each bus cycle. So 1 bus cycle generates two memory clocks.

What you want in CPUZ is a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio.
m
l
August 12, 2010 6:58:56 AM

thanks so much JSC!

how to determine what the factory reccomended values for my memory are??

my memory is OCZ2G8004GK Gold Edition XTC

btw, more screen shots of my BIOS

m
l
Related resources
a c 107 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2010 7:18:06 PM

Download and run CPU-Z.

The Memory tab page will tell you what your memory module type, size, mode of operation (single, dual or triple channel) and the memory speed and timings that are currently being used.

The SPD tab page shows you what is in the SPD timings table for the memory module that is in the memory slot that you choose from a drop down list of available memory slots.
m
l
August 13, 2010 6:10:06 AM

jsc said:
So 1 bus cycle generates two memory clocks.

What you want in CPUZ is a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio.

how do you get it so it is 1:1?

m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
August 13, 2010 7:00:38 PM

You see the line marked "System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [Auto] " in the first screenshot?

Change the [Auto] to [2.00]. Then you will see the Memory Frequency in the next line change to twice the value of the FSB frequency.

Besides contributing to instability, overclocking RAM in a Core2 system contributes little to increased performance.
m
l
August 20, 2010 4:29:23 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all your help.

I didn't want anything extreme. Just testing the waters. I got it up to 3 gHz, and im fine with that.

ran prime 95 for 24 each on blend and small FFT. Temps got up to 67 at the highest.

Idle, sitting at 39.

good to go.

m
l
!