Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD as boot drive only

Last response: in Storage
August 12, 2010 1:09:05 AM

Hello everyone, i've never messed with more then one harddrive and im completely lost and in desperate need of help.

My current problem is that i just got a 128 SSD at an awesome price, but if i understand correctly they have a somewhat limited amount of times you can write to them till u lose performance. I decided to use the harddrive for my os only which is windows 7 ultimate. Now i've been using a 500gb wd for the past year, and i have all my files on thier such as webroot, drivers, documents, adobe, microsoft office, etc.

What im curious about is if i will be able to use the ssd for just the os, and still use my 500gb for everything else without ever installing anything on the ssd? (might sound crazy, but for know im just interested in the faster boot time.)

and if i can't just have both hooked up what would i need to do so that i can boot from the ssd, but run all my programs of the 500gb wd.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

More about : ssd boot drive

a b G Storage
August 12, 2010 1:39:17 AM

yes, you can install just the os on your ssd and leave everything else on the hdd

you can have both connected at the same time
m
l
August 12, 2010 2:58:18 AM

jefe323 said:
yes, you can install just the os on your ssd and leave everything else on the hdd

you can have both connected at the same time

kk so i can just go to my computer select drive d find the program and load it up right? another thing i noticed is that when i booted up on the ssd it did not reconize my gtx 470, would i have to install the drivers on the ssd, or can i somehow make it work with the drivers on my 500gb?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 12, 2010 3:47:27 AM

the drivers should go to whatever drive you installed windows on, so it would go to the ssd in your case.

no way around this
m
l

Best solution

a c 99 G Storage
August 12, 2010 6:39:34 PM

If you install Windows 7 to the SSD, you will HAVE to reinstall any added programs. You can point them to the HDD, but you still have to reinstall them. The *.dll libraries and such are still saved to, and part of, the OS.

With a 128GB SSD, install all your programs to it. You have plenty of space, and would want to bebefit from the speed of a SSD. Keep/move your libraries to the HDD. Just drag and drop these from the C;/Users folder to where they are on your old HDD (D;/Users): My Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos. THis will make D the default drive for your libraries. So you won't loose anything.
August 13, 2010 2:23:33 PM

Best answer selected by oz73942.
m
l
!