Ketsurui

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Ok so I have been looking into getting a SSD for my desktop and i have two already in my laptop one for backing up data being as it is my school laptop. Anyway i was looking at SSD's and noticed i can either get one with 128gb or two 64gb each and place them in raid 0. I have a WD 1tb i can use for backups. I was just wondering which route i should take for best performance. I am a serious gamer. They are both SATA III SSD as well.

My Specs-

CPU: i7 920 overclocked to 3.8 ghz
GPU: 2x Radeon HD 5870 in crossfire
MOBO: Asus P6X58D Premium
HD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 rpm sata 6.0gb
Disk Drive: Pioneer DVD Burner
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master i7 V8 (Blue LED MOD)
PSU: Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W
RAM: OCZ Gold 6gb ddr3 2000
CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D

Solution
Studies have shown that gaming really doesn't benefit from an SSD.

Programs will load faster, and well as maps and such, but that's about it.

But, to keep things simple, go with a single SSD. TRIM is not supported with SSDs as part of a RAID array. There are ways around it, but basically you will lose 15-20% of the available space to compensate for the loss of TRIM. TRIM is part of Windows 7, which helps a SSD drive to "self-optimize."

BTW: That's a great rig!
Studies have shown that gaming really doesn't benefit from an SSD.

Programs will load faster, and well as maps and such, but that's about it.

But, to keep things simple, go with a single SSD. TRIM is not supported with SSDs as part of a RAID array. There are ways around it, but basically you will lose 15-20% of the available space to compensate for the loss of TRIM. TRIM is part of Windows 7, which helps a SSD drive to "self-optimize."

BTW: That's a great rig!

Solution