Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Tweaking Computer. Looking for Everyones opinion.

Last response: in Components
May 4, 2009 6:43:53 AM

Ok, to start off.... I just purchased an Inspiron 530. Which is pretty base line Dell Desktop. Although I upgraded the Prcoessor to a Intel Core2 processor Q8200 w/Quad Core Technology and 4MB cache. I also upgraded the Memory to a 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz.

I will be getting my computer in about 2 weeks and have been browsing around for a week or two at Video Cards and PSUs.

After looking at new/old hardware I finally decided I am going to pick up an ATi Radeon HD 4770. This is a fairly new Video Card, I belive being released in only the last 3-4 months. I chose this card because it has a 128-bit GDDR5 memory interface. Which I belive to be the most powerful GDDR out at the moment. It also supports DirectX 10.1. I slightly know my way around the computer insides but am most certainly not a proffesional at the stuff.

My last computer rig/ Video card was pretty old school (being purchased about 6 years ago for the computer, 4 years for the Video Card) and did not require a new PSU. Although, with the 4770 I will need to upgrade from my stock 350w PSU to a 500w PSU. Ive been looking around and havent really found a PSU that really stood out (looking at reliability, quietness, strength, popularity).

Does anyone have a suggestion for a power supply that will not only be reliable and powerful but also fit? I dont know the exact size I will have to work with but I guess it would be about about 6 in. x 5 1/2 in. x 3 1/2 in. My range is preferably $35-$55 but am willing to go to $75 for one that I can really depend on.

PLEASE HELP A NERD IN NEED
May 4, 2009 7:26:55 AM

It's hard to be sure if your Inspiron 530 uses an ATX case (the product page mentions "Mini Tower" which can mean practically anything to me). Given the dimensions you provided, I think an ATX PSU can fit. Contact Dell to make sure. In any case, CORSAIRS are a good PSU brand.

If you were willing to upgrade your PC right away, why didn't you just buy parts and have a technician assemble them? Would've saved you a lot IMO.
May 4, 2009 7:30:47 AM

I actually attempted to try and upgrade the PSU through Dell. Unfortunatly, Dell doesnt have upgrades through this model PC. You have buy a High-End PC for gaming for Dell to give you the options to upgrade stuff like the Power Supply.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2009 7:41:58 AM

The 4770 is a fairly low power card. You should be able to run it on the 350W Dell psu.
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2009 7:42:28 AM

Check this one out....It is one the best PSU manufacturers and that PSU could even power a GTX 285...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
But like orangegator said, you might be able to run it if that PSU has a 6 pin power connector...
May 4, 2009 11:31:30 PM

orangegator said:
The 4770 is a fairly low power card. You should be able to run it on the 350W Dell psu.

That's what you would think it being a a card that doesnt require much of a power supply. Unfortunatly, the requirement is atleast 450w.
May 4, 2009 11:36:15 PM

Thanks, you guys. I am going to start a new forum. I have recently decided that I want to use Ati Radeon 4770 Crossfire. Look for my new post because I still need help. :ange: 
!