XBOX 360 and AQUOS 37'' LCD Ghosting Issues.

austinx

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Hey guys. I bought a Sharp Aquos 37'' LCD television (1080i max) a month ago. I also just bought an XBOX 360 Elite a couple days ago. I'm playing Games like Grand Theft Auto 4 and Mirror's Edge, and I'm having problems with ghost trails. It's really bad in shadowed areas, like say, white objects trail through black objects and vice versa. It's annoying me, I have my settings up at 1080i for my TV, and am running an HDMI cable from my 360 to my TV. Is there any way to solve these ghosting issues? It happens on non-HD movies too, the older the movie I'm watching, the more ghosting there is. It happens really bad with fast moving objects and such.

khaos96

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I'm having the same issue with my Sharp 32" LCD TV and I also have an Elite. The issues only occur with the Lego games (Batman and Indiana Jones) and with Assassin's Creed. The ghosting gets slightly worse when I use the HDMI cord. It is quite annoying but for the more recent games like Gears of War, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, World at War, etc. I have not seen any problems. Do you think the Sharp TVs are playing a factor?

austinx

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I'm not sure, but it's gotten better lately. I have an Elite with an HDMI as well, I might've mentioned before, but it makes sense that it'd be different. It could be the SHARP TV's, but my cousin has a 40-inch sharp tv and has no problems with ghosting, in films or games. It's the worst for me in Grand Theft Auto, but its somewhat calmed down, I dont know, it could even be a temperature issue!

Thanks for the reply, I kinda figured no one had noticed this....seven months ago or whenever it was.

It depends entirly on the Response Time for individual pixels on the LCD across the color spectrum.

I *think* this is you're model:
http://tv.about.com/od/lcdproductreviews/p/AquosLC37D7U.htm

16ms Response Time...which is probably the BEST possible outcome...Thats probably why you are having ghosting issues:

Refresh Rate: 60Hz
Response Time: 16ms = .016 seconds

60Hz * .016 seconds = .96 seconds = Time for a single pixel to change state

In this case: The best outcome is that pixels change state almost exactly as fast as the next image is ready to be drawn. 99% of the time however, you will have a worse outcome.

In this case: The pixels can not change fast enough, and part of the next frame is drawn while parts of the previous one remain. Ghosting is the result. Most newer LCD's have a lower Response Time to get around that drawback.

This isn't as big an issue for TV viewing, as most TV shows are filmed at less then 60Hz. Even DVD's tend to simply draw the same image 3-4 times, farther hiding the issue. Games, however, redraw the screen 60 times per second, and thus are much more prone to ghosting.