AMD Athlon X2 7850 CPU: Why?

I know there's been some discussion over this relatively new CPU (Here at least). But if I were starting from scratch, why would I get it, aside from its apparently overclock-ability?

Is this CPU a good buy for a budget build? Would I be better off getting older and more established processors?
10 answers Last reply
More about athlon 7850
  1. well it's amd's rival to intel's E5200.
  2. Socket 775 is dead ending and AM2+ is still an ongoing venture.
    Socket AM2+ has more future than socket 775.
  3. AM3 processors work on AM2+ motherboards. More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2%2B
  4. According to this guy:

If you ask me .. the direct competitor would be an Intel Core 2 Duo E8200. Fact is that the 7850BE is roughly 8~10% away from Core 2 Duo E8400 (159 USD) performance.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-athlon-x2-7850-be-review/14
  5. RomDA_73 said:
    I know there's been some discussion over this relatively new CPU (Here at least). But if I were starting from scratch, why would I get it, aside from its apparently overclock-ability?

Is this CPU a good buy for a budget build? Would I be better off getting older and more established processors?

The Athlon X2 7850 would do very well in a lower-priced build as it is an inexpensive but reasonably decent CPU that works in inexpensive AM2+ motherboards and inexpensive DDR2 memory. I would choose it over an Intel setup as you can put together a decent 7850 + AM2+ motherboard + DDR2 setup that gets the same performance as an Intel Core 2 Duo setup for a lower price. If you're into gaming, the difference in CPU+MB cost can let you get a better video card with the 7850, plus the 7850 is better at games than the Core 2 Duos in the same price range. The only downside to the 7850 vs. a similar Core 2 Duo would be that the 65 nm 7850 runs warmer than the 45 nm Core 2 Duos.
  6. although, to be honest, if I were buying one of these Kuma CPUs, it would be the older 7750 BE. Why? Because it is a damned Black Edition. I can just up the multiplier by a half (or one? I don't know if they have halfs unlocked) and have the same performance as the newer 7850 BE, while saving $10. Seriously, there's no difference between the CPUs.
  7. I thought they discontinued the 7750 BE, it's now just a 7750 iirc.
  8. No significant bugs to speak of? running at stock clocking of course...
  9. the 7750 and 7850 are great cheap CPUs . Get 1 if u wanted.

I paired it with a his 4850 and its a wooping 100% more power then my old 4400+ and 9600GT setup. I got the 7750 cause i dunno if my mobo can support the new 7850 and i cant wait for a bios update. But from what i read AFTER i bought it is that it works without the need of a bios update cause its mostly the same CPU with 100mhz more :D ... personally i would have wanted it . I`mcurious whats the stock FPS / multi on the 7850, maybe thats the only difference, 2 steps up lol for 10 bucks .

gl
  10. 0.5x up on the multi vs the 7750.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking AMD