Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Multiple questions

Last response: in Storage
August 12, 2010 5:59:41 AM

ok, so im new to building PC's, ive never really built one until today i just finished after about 8 + hours of putting stuff together,

i am having problems making windows 7 add my HDD, i have a SSD that it is reading, and it could only install Windows on that. was able to load up, and now i am here on this beast of a PC with a small amount of memory left on my SSD,

here is what i wanted to buy my SSD for, i wanted to install WoW on it so that the load times would be reduced so that being my only purpose for the SSD, i only got 64 gigs. i am using a HDD that i bought earlier this year, its supposed to be 640 gigs and i have no idea what im supposed to do how i am supposed to reformat that or anything.

i would really appreciate some DUMMY'D DOWN help.

the only reason i was able to build a BEAST of a PC, was because my brother told me what to buy after i told him what i wanted. and he made sure everything would match.

PC specs are:
antec 900 box
intel i7 930
12g Ram
64g SSD
640g HDD
eva GTX 460 (GPU)
GX 650W (power)
Asus P6X58D Premium (mother board)

now i put everything together to the best of my knowledge and abilities, and to my surprise my attention to detail paid off (cable tieing everything down to make it look great and not have wires get caught up in fans).

now here is my biggest issue, knowing what i need, my SSD to be used for my WoW game, and my HDD to be used for my storage, how can i get this issue resolved? how can i make this work for me?

More about : multiple questions

a b G Storage
August 12, 2010 6:14:43 AM

Is the 640GB seen by the bios? If its not seen there you won't get windows on it. If its not seen there its either not hooked up correctly or its a DOA. Double check your data AND power cables.
m
l
August 12, 2010 6:26:44 AM

yes the bois reads 640g , and when it came time to install windows 7 it read it but wouldnt allow to install on it (was previously partitioned for a diff PC) so it is being read it just isnt allowing to be used. and now it is not visible while logged in windows 7
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2010 6:40:59 AM

would it require a new formatting?
m
l
a b G Storage
August 12, 2010 6:56:25 AM

Possibly, yes if it was in a linux computer. As long as you don't care what was on it go ahead and format it.
m
l
August 12, 2010 7:01:45 AM

oh, you know what, i remember, my brother set it up to be a linux and i did a windows partition.
m
l
August 12, 2010 8:07:45 AM

so how do i format it back to windows? and is it too late to make it my storage device? do i need to re-install windows 7?
m
l
a b G Storage
August 12, 2010 9:34:10 AM

Can't fully remember this thread, can you repartition it when you install windows? If you can't, use the ultimate boot CD to zero it out. (search for ultimate boot disk)
m
l

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
August 12, 2010 3:47:00 PM

(1) go to windows 7 disk management and delete all partitions. Set up new partitions and formate - Done

(2) If problem with above - Disconnect your SSD, Leave HDD installed. Insert win 7 installation disk. Select custom install. Delete all partions. Once partitions are removed. Bomb out off win 7 installation. Power off and Reconnect SSD. Power on and now go to win 7 Disk management and Partition HDD and format drive

Added:
Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

Also, I think you can right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage disks"
August 13, 2010 2:02:33 AM

ok thank you so much retired chief, you have saved my drive, now, when i download big files and i put it in that drive i dont need to do anything special? or should i make that drive identical to my main drive such as /program files/ and so on

second, can i ask questions about sound here or do i need to post elsewhere?
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
August 13, 2010 3:23:56 AM

No sure what your question is. My system is set up as Follows:
SSD - C Drive w/operating system and programs.
HDD - D Drive all files that I generate and or files I down load off of internet. I also put my memory Swap file Here.
HDD - E Drive All my "large" files like Video and pictures. A typical DVD (that has been reconfigured to fit on a single layer Disk) has 4 one gig files. A blu-ray video can have one file that is up to 30+ gigs.

As to the sound question, I would recommend opening a new thread under "CPU & Components(Sound)
m
l
August 13, 2010 3:33:58 AM

ok well i was just confused like say, if i wanted to download another big game, starcraft for instance, i wouldnt have space on my HDD, so i would have to put it on my larger disk, now do i have to make it say F:/programfiles/user or will it do all that good stuff on its own? like basically, when i save it, will it find it? i know i had problems with XP and having 2 hard drives i didnt do them well and they had problems finding files. and ill go search for my 2nd question before i start a thread.
m
l
August 13, 2010 3:42:17 AM

Best answer selected by matt3887.
m
l
!