Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 low fps

Last response: in Overclocking
August 12, 2010 4:06:59 PM

So guyz, i recently upgraded from a Geforce 9800GT to a GTX 460 ... but the thing is i'm getting really low fps in games like Crysis and bad company 2. In crysis, i'm getting the same FPS as i used to get with my old 9800GT, and in BC2, i'm getting like a 3FPS increase. CS:s is also getting me a 5FPS increase.

I also tried games like Metro 2033 in DX11, and it is running flawlessly, like above 40 FPS on High settings. In uningine heaven, everything turned up, tesselation=normal, no AA ... i'm getting a score of 900 ... Crysis warhead is also running a lot better on this card ...

So guyz, why are some games running much, much worse than others ... ? Also, when i first installed the driver and tried sonic sled demo, i was getting less than 10FPS, reinstalled driver and now i'm getting above 35 FPS ...

PC Spec:

Windows 7 (I've been using this Window for like 7 months, would a fresh install help?)
AMD X3 8450
EVGA Geforce GTX 460 769MB (i'm using the only driver available for this card)
3GB DDR2
500GB

More about : gtx 460 low fps

a c 124 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 12, 2010 4:15:13 PM

Could be that you're accidentally forcing settings through like a high amount of AA. Some games ignore it anyway, like Metro 2033, but others won't and then you get a huge performance hit. So yeah, double check that. As for drivers, did you make sure to do it properly? Basically you first delete drivers, then run driver sweeper, then a registry cleaner, then install the new one. Make sure any onboard video drivers are gone too (if applicable)
m
l
August 12, 2010 4:26:26 PM

wolfram23 said:
Could be that you're accidentally forcing settings through like a high amount of AA. Some games ignore it anyway, like Metro 2033, but others won't and then you get a huge performance hit. So yeah, double check that. As for drivers, did you make sure to do it properly? Basically you first delete drivers, then run driver sweeper, then a registry cleaner, then install the new one. Make sure any onboard video drivers are gone too (if applicable)

Are u serious ... ? All that before installing a new driver ...? What i did was

Uninstall driver, remove old card, insert new card, install new driver

Was that any good ?
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2010 2:58:31 AM

It might be that the games with poor performance increases are getting CPU or memory bound. You did say you saw a noticable increase in Crysis which is notoriously GPU hungry
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 13, 2010 4:03:02 PM

^ that's true too. If you RAM is full then it forces file paging on the HDD, and as it access that you'll get really bad lag. I had this happening in STALKER: Call of Pripyat after installing some high res texture mods. Upgraded to 8GB RAM, and my RAM usage with the game running is like 6GB lol, but it runs way smoother.
m
l
August 21, 2010 10:18:31 AM

This issue is currently being looked into by nVidia (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=170238&st=...). The reason it happens is because your gpu is only using 40-50 % of it's power in some games (if you download afterburner and start up the game and play some this will be quite obvious).
They will be releasing a beta driver in the next few weeks which will address to this issue.

So there is nothing wrong with your computer.
m
l
August 28, 2010 1:50:14 AM

Saikouro said:
This issue is currently being looked into by nVidia (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=170238&st=...). The reason it happens is because your gpu is only using 40-50 % of it's power in some games (if you download afterburner and start up the game and play some this will be quite obvious).
They will be releasing a beta driver in the next few weeks which will address to this issue.

So there is nothing wrong with your computer.

Oh i didn't mention that i'm sorry, that's exactly the issue ... low gpu usage and sometimes extremely low. I use EVGA precision BTW
m
l
August 28, 2010 6:33:24 PM

well maybe if you get the game's latest patch it'll be fixed
m
l
!