Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A few questions about seting up a slave HDD (IDE)

Last response: in Storage
August 12, 2010 2:35:57 PM

Hello!
I was wondering how to set up my old HDD (IDE as a slave (master is my new Sata) because files corrupt when I try to put them on a USB stick. How do I set up the jumpers (total noob about that) and if there's a problem if I plug my devices this way on the ribbon cable (http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/Userremoved/?ac...) Thanks in advance!
August 12, 2010 7:06:29 PM

If you need the model it's a Seagate ST3160021A
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 12, 2010 7:08:55 PM

If the IDE HDD is your ONLY IDE device, set the jumper on it to "Master" and use the connector furthest from the motherboard connector. The 2 connectors that are closer together on the ribbon are the connectors for your IDE devices; the other is to connect to the motherboard.

If you also have an IDE CD/DVD drive, you can set the jumper for that to "Master" connect it to the furthest connector from the motherboard connector. Then set the HDD jumper to "Slave" and connect it to the remaining connector. I think this configuration will significantly reduce your HDD performance.
August 12, 2010 7:18:55 PM

treefrog07 said:
If you also have an IDE CD/DVD drive, you can set the jumper for that to "Master" connect it to the furthest connector from the motherboard connector. Then set the HDD jumper to "Slave" and connect it to the remaining connector. I think this configuration will significantly reduce your HDD performance.

Total idiot with hard drives so could you please explain?
Edit: I already have a DVD IDE drive on top of the connector and a SATA HDD as Master of the whole PC.
I have the IDE HDD in my hand I took of the jumper (the manual says that how I make it a slave) but what do I do next?

Edit 2: I understand what you mean now thanks for the info.
m
l
August 12, 2010 7:53:59 PM

Best answer selected by Userremoved.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 12, 2010 8:30:27 PM

You're welcome. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Each IDE/PATA ribbon has two sets of device connectors; one - the furthest from the motherboard is for the master IDE/PATA device and the middle connector is for the slave device - on that ribbon/connection.
m
l
August 12, 2010 9:49:20 PM

treefrog07 said:
You're welcome. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Each IDE/PATA ribbon has two sets of device connectors; one - the furthest from the motherboard is for the master IDE/PATA device and the middle connector is for the slave device - on that ribbon/connection.

Ok thanks for the info! I ended up just leaving the old IDE HDD in my old PC because the cable was too small too reach the drive bays and the 5 1/4 to 3 1/2 was a pain to use anyways thanks for the help it now I know how to use jumpers and ribbon cables correctly.
m
l
!