Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Hi guys first of all here are my specs

Windows XP sp3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
2gb RAM
280gb hd
Nvidia Geforce 8800gt

The problem is that on most games I play my computer crashes to a black screen and I then have to restart.

I have all the latest drivers installed for my graphics card and the card is well within the requirements of the games I play such as oblivion, empire total war, fallout 3 to name a few.

This is getting frustrating, as a gamer this sort of thing is ruining the game play experience.

The only cooling I have in my system is the CPU fan and the fan in the graphics card. I keep the side panel off of the PC to try and maximize the airflow but this is facing a wall so I don't know how effective it is. After playing a few games I have felt the card and it is hot but that happens anyway right? with or without cooling. I suspect cooling is my problem.

So my question is> Do ya think I will need a few fans to keep down the temp of my card? Or do you think it could be another problem? Also, if you do think its my cooling that needs a re-vamp, where should I go and what should I get? I'm in the UK so Newegg is off limits.

Thanks for your time,
Keelan

Update the video BIOS with one that will change the fan speed based on temp from EVGA, XFX, BFG if not already done so.

Another option is to get an aftermarket cooler. TT DuOrb and works just great.
Well if you follow the instructions as written the cooler will NOT contact the GPU on an 8800 GT. The tall studs are too long and the short ones if you use them will distort and probably damage the card if you tighten the nuts.
The solution was to use the short studs and put the plastic washers, that are supposed to be under the nuts, between the studs and video card.
The instructions clearly show these plastic washers on the back side of the card not on the front side, but the front side is where I had to put them.