Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Coolermaster Hyper TX3 - how to apply paste? Just to rails?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 12, 2010 7:25:07 PM

Hi. I'm seeing conflicting advice on how to apply thermal paste. I don't want to start another battle in a greater war, but I'm wondering what to do regarding applying the grease to my TX3 on an i7-860 CPU.

Arctic Silver (I''m using 5) has its own instructions, but I am afraid they won't work since the heatsink has 3 rails, and there is a pretty big gap on either side of each rail.

The Arctic Silver pdf for i7's says to apply 1 line, vertically in the middle of the CPU. But that seems like it would only affect one rail on the TX3. It also says NOT to spread, but yes to twisting one or two degrees.

So should I do 3 really thin vertical stripes? Just the one?

Any advice will be helpful as this is my first time (well, it's the second, since the first time I botched installing the stock fan that came with the CPU)...

Thanks in advance!
August 12, 2010 8:10:48 PM

put a pea size glob right in the middle.. that way when you put the heatsink on it'll spread out.. they dont want you to spread it because when you do that then put the heatsink on there.. the pressure from the heatsink is going to push out the paste even more.. and if it blobs out and gets all over your motherboard.. then you gotta big mess..ect..ect.. so ya.. just a pea size glob in the middle.. then throw your heat sink on..
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

August 12, 2010 9:35:55 PM

If you would check the link that saint posted the problem with a small pea in the middle is that it doesn't completely cover the CPU. The method that I seen works for heatpipes is to apply thermal paste in gaps so that its an even surface and then install two small lines of thermal paste about an inch apart so that you get full coverage. The link discusses several different methods for each type of heatsink.
August 12, 2010 11:20:19 PM

its not rocket science.. and some people are making it WAY more complicated than it needs to be.. more than likely youve already applied the paste.. and if you did.. its doing its job.. if your cpu temps are looking a bit too high then id worry and re apply some paste,reset the heatsink, look at the fans.. other than that dont let applying thermal paste scare you out of finishing up your rig.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2010 11:53:04 PM

jesman1985 said:
its not rocket science.. and some people are making it WAY more complicated than it needs to be.. more than likely youve already applied the paste.. and if you did.. its doing its job.. if your cpu temps are looking a bit too high then id worry and re apply some paste,reset the heatsink, look at the fans.. other than that dont let applying thermal paste scare you out of finishing up your rig.

No one's making it more complicated.
Most anyone who's ever installed an HDT type cooler knows that the " pea sized drop " method simply isn't optimal for full coverage.
m
l
August 12, 2010 11:59:00 PM

but by saying "pea sized drop in the middle" you know that it goes center than out.. you dont put a massive amount.. but understand that when the heatsink presses down its going to spread.. thats why its much easier to put it center then itll spread outward on its own.. placing a little here and a little there will mess up your judgment.. the last thing you want it thermal paste coming out the sides afterwards.. ive always placed the drop in the middle and my temps have always been fine.. its what works for me.. if you choose to do it another way.. hey.. whatever works for you.
m
l
August 13, 2010 1:26:05 PM

Best answer selected by kghastie.
m
l
August 13, 2010 1:28:13 PM

kghastie said:
I am afraid they won't work since the heatsink has 3 rails, and there is a pretty big gap on either side of each rail.

Thanks for the comments. That link is really informative, although
birdeye sums up how it applies to my situation well. The problem is the gaps between the heatpipes.

Here's a link to the HDT page of saint19's link: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
!