Sign in with
Your question

Failed Overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 12, 2010 7:39:56 PM

Heya. Yesterday was my first shot at overclocking. I read some guides and thought i'd try it out for myself. I got my AMD Athlon II x4 620 to 2.9ghz by raising the frequency to 225 ( going 5 at a time ). Ran the Prime95 torture test for an hour each time. Everything went stable. My cpu didn't go above 60c while in Prime95 with the stock cooler. My problem is; I boot up my pc today and i get a message during boot. "Warning! my pc is in safe mode. Please reset the frequency" Or something along those lines. I had to reset the frequency back to the stock 200 to even boot up. What went wrong? Everything was stable yesterday during tests.

More about : failed overclock

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2010 8:01:19 PM

did you raise your voltage at all during the initial overclock? This seems to be either a voltage issue or a RAM voltage issue.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 286 K Overclocking
August 12, 2010 8:05:10 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

OC ur rig again and use LinX and OCCT for the stability test. On LinX select "all" for random test if ur rig isn't stable for at least 1 hour the OC isn't stable.
m
l
August 12, 2010 9:03:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went back into my BIOS and cranked the frequency back up, prime95 for an hour and it is stable. I guess my motherboard was just being faulty. I haven't messed with any voltages yet. I will grab those programs and run them. Thanks.
m
l
!