alexbruce

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hey,

Really quick question, I have a corsair CX400 PSU in my HTPC, I plugged a 12v-7v adapter in and when I turned it a big cloud of smoke came from the wire and one of the wires of the 12v-7v cable was fried.

I have a a basic PSU tester which lights up green when you plug in a working connection, when I test the molex connections on the tester it goes green.

But my question is, will my PSU be ok? nothing on the PSU wires etc is damaged and everything works perfectly I think.

Any input is appreciated!

Alex.

What was the 12v-7v adapter for? Slowing down case fans? Could be just a bad adapter. Unplug the adapter completely from the system. Since your psu detector indicates the psu and molex connections are okay you might want to try powering up without the adapter.

alexbruce

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
yeah it was for slowing down my case fan.

I have removed the cable and binned it, because like I said the wire was melted!

I think the adapter was just shitty, i'm pretty sure everything works ok.

Any other tests I can run to make sure?

The real test is turning on the computer to find out if it still works. You mentioned you were pretty sure everything works. Does that mean you actually turned on the computer and tried to run a few programs? Was everything okay?

TRENDING THREADS