Dan4451

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Alright, i need the communities help one more time.

I am trying to install a fresh Windows Vista on my new build.

When i put the disc in i get "Enter System Disc, then press enter" ... something like that. My boot order goes as this

[Hard Drive]
[CD-ROM]
[Removeable]

possible issues

1) there is no option in my BIOS of a boot:DVD-ROM the vista is a DVD
2) all else i can think of is my DVD drive is DOA (i dont wanna send it back just yet, wanna make sure it is completely useless first).

I really hope you guys can help me out i have been trying to install different OSs on this baby for over a week now and my nerves are fried with this thing.

Thanks in advance,

Dan4451

The DVD drive may be showing up in the BIOS as CD-ROM. CD-ROM should be before the HD in the boot priority. Is you DVD drive IDE or SATA? Are you sure both the data and power cables are firmly plugged in?

If the drive is IDE, is the onboard IDE controller enabled in the BIOS? Do you have the jumpers set correctly? (also only if the drive is IDE)

OK then, did you check the things I posted above about the IDE drive? Is the drive correctly identified in the BIOS? You need to make sure the IDE controller is enabled in the BIOS. You also need to make sure the jumpers are set correctly. Too bad you didn't get a SATA DVD burner. They sure make life easier. Either way, you for sure need to have the burner above the HD in the boot priority when you're trying to install an OS.

Dan4451

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
oh yea I just realised that it is not detected, i took out the PSW and plugged and replugged. It is still not detecting it. It might be a jumper issue.

also, what makes the difference between the SATA DVD burner and the IDE?

I bet the onboard IDE controller isn't enabled. I don't have direct experience with your particular motherboard, but some motherboards come with the IDE controller disabled.

IDE is the old, slower, standard for hard drives and optical drives. SATA drives not only use a much smaller cable that helps with airflow, but they don't need any jumpers. You just plug them in and go. I wish they'd just quit making IDE drives altogether so we could move on.

Dan4451

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
ok, i set the drivers to Master (was on slave) and now my HDD is not detected as well as the Drive =(

and SATA and IDE are both ENABLED

What SATA port is the HD plugged into? Do you just have the one SATA HD? The HD should be plugged into the SATA0 port on the motherboard. Did you double check to make sure the IDE ribbon cable is fully seated? Most IDE cables are keyed so they only go in one way, but if the cable isn't keyed it is possible to plug in the cable backwards. The stripe on the cable usually goes closest to the power plug on the drive.

http://freepctech.com/pc/001/installing_ide_devices.shtml

Dan4451

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
alright i got it now, the CD drive in on master, still not detected, but the HDD is now operational... must of knocked out a connector =P

Good suggestions by shortstuff. The other suggestions I have would be to try another IDE cable. Put the CD drive's jumper on cable select. You can also try a different molex connector from the psu.

TRENDING THREADS