GA-EP45-UD3P and 'Brrrrrr' 'Brrrrrrr' sound at startup

OneHumongousLoser

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
This sound now starts at startup, and i dont think it is the harddrive. Its driving me crazy. I think it started after I switched the only harddrive to another port, and added the esata back panel connector to other ports.

Anyone know a likely cause and fix, help appreceiated.

bilbat

Splendid
I'm a car guy, and this has me infinitely amused, as it's an eternal automotive comedy routine: "Well, does it sound like this? [makes a weird noise]" "Well, no, it's more like [makes an even weirder noise]!" "Well, is there sort of a [yet a stranger noise] to it?" "Well, no, it's got a sort of [gets spit on the other guy's glasses] overtone!" and on and on into the night...

How long does this noise last at startup? Does it stop suddenly, or just kinda 'go away' gradually? Does it sound mechanical (like, maybe, a fan wire getting 'buzzed' by the blade, or is it more of, say, an electronic noise (yeah, and how the hell do I define that) like a speaker or a buzzer of some sort (which might be a slightly loose inductor charging up)?

Looking forward to your next post - this sounds (no pun intended) like it'll be fun!

Bill

try using the insert of a paper towel roll. Open the case up and start the system. Hold the insert next to your ear and stick the other end down into the MB area and see if you can find the source of the noise. Probably a fan belt. 8).

bilbat

Splendid
Excellent idea! I keep a stethoscope with a few oddball attachments (probes and such) for listening to engines - (easy to tell a bad lifter from a burred oil-pump gear, once you've heard 'em), never thought of using it for PC noises!

Could always try a spray can of fan belt dressing... (I probably shouldn't even suggest this; I do industrial, and used to use a lot of spray circuit board/contact cleaner - industrials get filthy and filmed with oil, & often just a cleaning fixes all; anyways, I was going to take the label off a can of Raid and put it on a can of cleaner, just for a joke, and say 'gotta de-bug it!' before spraying Raid-labeled cleaner - my boss thought the better of it and told me "don't even think about it" - the next thing will be the plant maintenance man will spray a computer full of Raid, and say "well, the service guy did it!"