Pairing a GTX 260 with a GTX 260 (216)

Tron87

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
So I've got a 260 right now and its been about nine months since I got it.
The old model cards are still available but dwindling.

What would be the issues with paring an old model with a new (216)?
I know they pair but would the new model just cripple itself till it matched the old?

What kind of detriment am I looking at here?

Thank you.

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
Maziar's FAQ only notes that you can use it, I don't think it mentions the effects of doing so (I did a quick perusal and search though, didn't read the whole thing). To answer your question, yes. The core 216 will operate like a 192. If they have different clock speeds, the faster card will down clock to operate the same as the slower, unless you overclock the slower card.

As far as detriment, it would depend on the resolution you are running. Without looking up data, my guess would be anything 1680x1050 and lower would be a minor hit, and anything over that would take a moderate hit (esp. with AA/AF on), I believe it was in the neighborhood of 5% for single card frame rates. Again, just my estimation, I'm sure there is plenty of hard info on this subject to back it up. I'll see if I can dig some up after I get some more work done.

Tron87

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I suppose I am mostly hoping that the 260+ will practicaly become a 260. If it can SLI exactly like two 260's without any wierd incomatability then I am good to go.