Asus Maximus II Formula Not recognizing 2nd Sata HDD

Last response: in Motherboards
July 6, 2009 12:58:42 AM

I will First start with my set-up:
Asus Maximus II Formula Motherboard
2 1Gb Sticks of Ocz Reaper Pc 9200 DDR2 Ram
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale CPU
nVidia GeForce 9800-GTX+
WD Velociraptor 150Gb HDD (OS Installed)
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb HDD (Storage)
Thermaltake 750W PSU

Ok. So first I will say that I have had this system running for about 9 months before I rewired it last week because when I originally put it together, in my angst to get it running, left the wires looking like crap. After rewiring it the CPU started running at 50C idle, 75C under load. I figured I must have knocked the stock CPU fan off its seat. Rather than fiddle around with the stock fan I bought a Rocketfishâ„¢ - Universal CPU Cooler. I had to take my MOBO out of the case to put in the replacement fan and thats when things began acting screwy. After I had put everything back I tried to run the system and it was unable to recognize either my WD or Seagate harddrives. After reading threads for about 4 hours, I am now able to get the bios to reconize the WD. It boots windows with the same speed as before, but it still will not recognize my Seagate. I have tried putting the WD in Sata Slot 2 and the Seagate in slot 1 but it still only recognizes the WD. I have the bios set to emulate IDE devices. I have gone through the MOBO Manual. I tried installing the Seagate disc and trying to install the drivers again. Nothing has worked. Please Help!!

July 6, 2009 1:46:06 AM

bond62789 said:
I will First start with my set-up:
Asus Maximus II Formula Motherboard
2 1Gb Sticks of Ocz Reaper Pc 9200 DDR2 Ram
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale CPU
nVidia GeForce 9800-GTX+
WD Velociraptor 150Gb HDD (OS Installed)
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb HDD (Storage)
Thermaltake 750W PSU

Ok. So first I will say that I have had this system running for about 9 months before I rewired it last week because when I originally put it together, in my angst to get it running, left the wires looking like crap. After rewiring it the CPU started running at 50C idle, 75C under load. I figured I must have knocked the stock CPU fan off its seat. Rather than fiddle around with the stock fan I bought a Rocketfishâ„¢ - Universal CPU Cooler. I had to take my MOBO out of the case to put in the replacement fan and thats when things began acting screwy. After I had put everything back I tried to run the system and it was unable to recognize either my WD or Seagate harddrives. After reading threads for about 4 hours, I am now able to get the bios to reconize the WD. It boots windows with the same speed as before, but it still will not recognize my Seagate. I have tried putting the WD in Sata Slot 2 and the Seagate in slot 1 but it still only recognizes the WD. I have the bios set to emulate IDE devices. I have gone through the MOBO Manual. I tried installing the Seagate disc and trying to install the drivers again. Nothing has worked. Please Help!!

1. Did you check that the power cable was properly connected to the seagate at one end and the MOBO or PSU at the other end?
2. That the SATA connection is properly connected at both ends?
4. That any jumpers you might have set are still set properly?

You moved cables. Recheck them. :) 
July 6, 2009 1:50:40 AM

MikeJRamsey said:
1. Did you check that the power cable was properly connected to the seagate at one end and the MOBO or PSU at the other end?
2. That the SATA connection is properly connected at both ends?
4. That any jumpers you might have set are still set properly?

You moved cables. Recheck them. :) 

The power cable goes from my WD to my Seagate to the PSU it is plugged in. Sata Cables are all plugged in. I haven't touched any jumpers. It seems very weird. I installed a program to check HDD health, and it said the WD was at 100% and Seagate was at 72%. So i know the Drive is good as well.
Related resources
July 6, 2009 11:18:07 AM

bond62789 said:
The power cable goes from my WD to my Seagate to the PSU it is plugged in. Sata Cables are all plugged in. I haven't touched any jumpers. It seems very weird. I installed a program to check HDD health, and it said the WD was at 100% and Seagate was at 72%. So i know the Drive is good as well.

Hypothesis 2: Since working with the BIOS seemed to help maybe the BIOS was corrupted. If so, reflashing it might help.
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/As...

Take a look at what Gunderman456 had to say here:
http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/422520-asus...

July 8, 2009 12:19:04 AM

Update: I flashed the bios to the latest version, and did some minor adjustments to the hardware(swapped out sata, power cables) but still nothing. I'm going to pop my harddrive out and see if there is anything visible before i go and do what gunderman456 says.
July 8, 2009 1:15:54 AM

I've done exactly what gunderman456 has said, as well as flashed the bio's all to no avail. I changed the Sata mode from emulating IDE to AHCI and when it was POSTing it recognized something in Sata slot 2 but it timed out trying to figure out what it was. After it timed out it failed to boot windows, whereas when it emulates an IDE drive, I am able to boot windows, but it immediately skips over sata slot 2 when posting straight to slot 3 where the DVD rom drive is. Any more ideas/suggestions?
July 8, 2009 1:48:11 AM

Ok- I have a new theory, I was checking up on possibly shorting out a hard drive, and it mentioned, maybe not shorting out, but damaging a hard drive by overtightening the screws. Now when I rewired the thing I had to move both my hard drives around to get the wires to conform (my case is relatively tight). I definetly overtightened both the hard drives screws, but the velociraptor is only a 2.5" drive with a heatsink surrounding it. What is curious about my over tightening theory is it took a week and a half for the hard drive to fail. Is it possible for that long of a delay?
July 8, 2009 2:28:51 AM

bond62789 said:
Ok- I have a new theory, I was checking up on possibly shorting out a hard drive, and it mentioned, maybe not shorting out, but damaging a hard drive by overtightening the screws. Now when I rewired the thing I had to move both my hard drives around to get the wires to conform (my case is relatively tight). I definetly overtightened both the hard drives screws, but the velociraptor is only a 2.5" drive with a heatsink surrounding it. What is curious about my over tightening theory is it took a week and a half for the hard drive to fail. Is it possible for that long of a delay?

I am sorry that you are still having the problem. Both of your drives are SATA drives and the velociraptor is your boot drive.
  • What happens if you connect your working velociraptor drive to the Seagate's cable? Same slot, different cable?
  • Have you checked the pins on the Seagate itself? Sometimes when you connect male and female plugs (sorry, double-E lingo), a pin on the male plug can miss the hole in the female plug. The result is that the pin gets bent. Be sure to inspect the male pins on the drive and check that they are straight. I fixed a client's system once that had this problem.
  • Can you post the URL reference for the over tightened screws?

Why did you set the bios to emulate IDE devices? Is it back to SATA?
    July 8, 2009 2:42:16 AM

When the slot is the same and the cable is different the velociraptor still boots but it takes about 20 seconds longer to boot windows than when it is slot one. I have not checked the pins on the seagate itself, but will do that when I have taken it out. The bios offers 3 settings for sata devices plugged into it. The first is IDE Emulation (the way I understand the manuals referencing) the second is AHCI the third is RAID. If I did cook the second harddrive I plan to use the Speeding Hard Drive Feature the boar offers when I get the new hard drive.

I found the overtightened screw references, not for similar drives, through a google search. Here is one result:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243656-30-something-r...
    Sailer's responses reference overtightened screws.

In case you want a copy of my MOBO manual you can download it from the ASUS site:
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...

page 3-22 explains the sata as IDE things much better than I can.
    July 8, 2009 2:43:02 AM

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate your time.
    July 8, 2009 2:49:17 AM

I just pulled the hard drive and all the pins seem in place, Also it looks to me like it would be very difficult to damage a harddrive with overtightened screws.
    July 8, 2009 4:28:18 AM

bond62789 said:
    When the slot is the same and the cable is different the velociraptor still boots but it takes about 20 seconds longer to boot windows than when it is slot one. I have not checked the pins on the seagate itself, but will do that when I have taken it out. The bios offers 3 settings for sata devices plugged into it. The first is IDE Emulation (the way I understand the manuals referencing) the second is AHCI the third is RAID. If I did cook the second harddrive I plan to use the Speeding Hard Drive Feature the boar offers when I get the new hard drive.

I found the overtightened screw references, not for similar drives, through a google search. Here is one result:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243656-30-something-r...
    Sailer's responses reference overtightened screws.

In case you want a copy of my MOBO manual you can download it from the ASUS site:
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...

page 3-22 explains the sata as IDE things much better than I can.

Standard IDE mode allows you to connect Serial ATA devices to SATA1-6. That is very twisted terminology. IDE (aka ATA aka Parallel ATA) is a very different and older technology than SATA.

So first, make sure that your drives are connected to the Southbridge (ICH10R) ports, SATA1-6

When you installed your OS (which OS by the way?) were your drives configured as IDE? Vista defaults to RAID. Did you know that you can't change this setting without reinstalling the operating system? Make very sure that you have the SATA mode set exactly as it was when you installed your OS.

It turns out that you can set the mode to Enhanced and select RAID without ever setting up a RAID set. Seems like lots of folks (and Vista users) run this way. But again, you can't change this setting WITHOUT REINSTALLING THE OPERATING SYSTEM. :o 

I don't know who came up with the terminology used by the E3803 but they strike me as deeply conflicted.

EDIT: Come to think of, make sure that your drives are connected to the same ports as when you installed your OS.
    July 8, 2009 10:00:12 PM

That is strange. I am using XP Pro. Wierdly enough when I installed my OS to the Velociraptor, it along with my cd rom drive were plugged into ports 5 and 6. Those two items are now plugged into 1 and 3 and it has no problem recognizing them. I did not add my seagate until maybe 3-5weeks after I had the system running. It came with a disc that installed the harddrive. I already tried reinstalling the drive, but an error message pops up saying that there is no seagate drive detected. I will try out all 3 settings and see if any of them work. I will also switch around the slots and see if any of that works. I have a bad feeling that the drive might be shot, I read it when i took it out and it said specifically not to overtighten the screws and my dumb ass cranked it down. But what perplexes me is that it worked for a week and a half after I rewired the system, and then when I pulled the MOBO out (unplugging everything again) it decides it wont recognize the hard drive. Really strange.
    EDIT: I just tried booting with RAID and AHCI and everything posted but it failed to load windows. I would say that means IDE was the way the OS was installed.
    July 8, 2009 10:30:07 PM

I just tried to boot with the cd rom sata unplugged and the bios failed to recognize either hard drive. When it is plugged in it recognizes the WD and is able to boot. I initially thought the priority was set wrong but when I went into bios It did not detect any hard disks. I have the latest bios version running as well. The only thing connecting the two hard disks is the same power cable, the first connection off the power supply is the WD and then the Seagate. The DVD drive has its own power running and is the only thing on it. The graphics card is the only thing on its line. There is a third line for the fans, and the last 2 go to the motherboard.
    July 8, 2009 10:47:33 PM

I just tried booting with the cd drive unplugged (I made sure the boot priority had my WD first) and it failed to POST. I then rearranged the sata drives so I had the wd in slot 1 the seagate in slot 3 and the DVD drive in slot 4, once again it failed to post. I then swapped the seagate and the dvd drive and it POSTed, after timing out looking for IDE devices, but recognized the WD and the DVD drive.
    July 8, 2009 11:37:28 PM

bond62789 said:
    I just tried booting with the cd drive unplugged (I made sure the boot priority had my WD first) and it failed to POST. I then rearranged the sata drives so I had the wd in slot 1 the seagate in slot 3 and the DVD drive in slot 4, once again it failed to post. I then swapped the seagate and the dvd drive and it POSTed, after timing out looking for IDE devices, but recognized the WD and the DVD drive.

Dang. I was hoping that altering the BIOS was the problem. You have exhausted what I can personally do to help. Not being one to throw in the towel, I opened an account over on ASUS and posted your question there. Hopefully some kind soul has seen something similar and will reply.

Here is the link:
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2009070906170926...

If somebody replies I will repost it here. Maybe we will get lucky.
    July 9, 2009 12:15:33 AM

Thank you so much for your help. To keep you updated, I swapped out all the sata cables, and physically held the drive to ensure my eyes and ears wernt playing tricks on me. Sure enough as soon as I powered on the hard drive began spinning but the bios still did not recognize the drive. I will check the asus forums as well. Thanks again for all your help!!!
    July 9, 2009 12:34:39 PM

Anton over on the ASUS Maximus II Formula forum suggests connecting the failing Seagate to another computer and see if it comes up. This will rule out the drive as the problem. If the drive comes up on the other system then your motherboard is likely bad. If it is still under warranty then request an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) from ASUS and get a new mobo.

If the Seagate fails to come up on the other PC than the HDD is bad. There are mail order services that can often recover data from failed drives. I have never used them but a Google search should identify some candidates. If you don't want to pay for that, oh well, look into backup solutions to give you options in the future.

Let us know how it turns out.
    July 13, 2009 3:27:06 AM

So the HDD failed to show on another computer. I contacted seagate tech support, and they informed me that indeed my drive needs a firmware upgrade, but because it is not recognized it is impossible to do this. This firmware issue is common among seagate barricuda 7200.11 apparently. Seagate has given me a link along with the case that I filed with tech support. Their data recovery company pays packaging shipping and gives a free evaluation. I am sending it in tomorrow morning. I wish Seagate had made the firmware issues more known. I know have a $100 paper weight after only 9 months of use. I can guarantee I will never use seagate again. WD from here on out!
    July 15, 2009 2:51:40 AM

I just recieved word that after sending my drive in that it was indeed a firmware issue, and they were able to save my drive. Despite excellent customer service, the fact that the product was A) Unreliable and B) Seagate did not make the firmware issues well known until I did some digging, that I will not buy a seagate again as previously stated. I will say that seagate paid UPS Next Day Air and Ground for the drive transportation, but it is a HUGE inconvenience, especially since it took so long to diagnose the issue. They also wanted $40 to Next Day Air the drive back to me. Oh Well, Last post when the drive is in the computer running.
    July 15, 2009 3:12:36 AM

Seagate still seems to be down playing this issue; not smart. The right play is:
    1. Admit it
    2. Fix it
    3. Don't repeat it

Every kid playing little league baseball is taught that much.
    !