Sign in with
Your question

Iomega Prestige Problem

Last response: in Storage
August 13, 2010 1:36:35 AM

Hello,
i have an iomega prestige 1tb external hard drive, it keeps on shutting down on me when i am trying to do anything with it, sometimes it shuts down within a few minutes and others it will stay on for a half an hour or so, is there anything i can do to fix this, any help at all would be much appreciated, i have alot of files on it that i really do not want to lose
a b G Storage
August 13, 2010 5:06:48 AM

The title of this topic has been edited by Buwish
m
l
a b G Storage
August 13, 2010 5:08:01 AM

It sounds to me like the drive is on it's last leg. Does it do the same thing on any other computers? If you do not know, test it out to be sure. If it doesn't, it could be a problem with your computer's USB port(s). If not, I'd try and get the data off there as soon as possible.
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2010 10:13:15 PM

The thing that i really don't understand is that the drive is really not that old, i've only had it for around a year, if that, and it does seem to do it on any computer
m
l
August 17, 2010 1:39:34 AM

heath011 said:
The thing that i really don't understand is that the drive is really not that old, i've only had it for around a year, if that, and it does seem to do it on any computer

It has nothing to do with how old the drive is usually, it could be heat related, some indexing task you have running, continuous defraging, the drive was bad to begin with (if you didn't burn it in and test it) there are so many possibilities

The most important thing currently is to back it up I agree with buwish it sounds like it is circling the drain

Drives are currently cheap just buy something immediately back your iomega up and spend the next 14 day to a month looking for a good deal if you are unhappy with what you bought and exchange it.

Check your warranty and figure out your RMA

Also download the iomega tools and see if it will tell you what is wrong with the drive if not then get the Western Digital tools which I find to be very good and which work with other drives

best of luck saving your data
m
l
August 17, 2010 1:43:48 AM

Another thought

If this is heat related, have you considered pointing a big old fan at the drive? A desktop fan
See if it cools it down some allowing you to copy off some data
m
l
!