One more - i7 build

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
it looks good to me except for a few things.

I would get a WD Caviar Black instead of the spinpoint. Samsungs have been having some reliability issues and the WD models are the fastest on the market right now. If you don't want to spend the $130 for the 1TB model, consider the 640gb for only $69 -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

Also, depending on how high you want to OC your 920, you might want to consider some faster RAM. This set has excellent timings (as pointed out to me) and is currently on sale with free shipping -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381

_DW

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Thank you Foolycooly. I appreciate you letting me know about the spinpoint issues, I have switched to the 640gb WD caviar black that you linked to.

I do want to OC the i7 so I agree with your recommendation of faster RAM as well. I have updated the build sheet with the OCZ 6GB kit you linked to.

Thanks a lot, this is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for.

Build sheet linked and updated in first post.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Looks good. Pick up some MX-2 thermal paste for your cooler...which you might want to check and make sure will fit in your case, the V8 is rather tall and the Antec 300 isn't the widest case around, some people have trouble with the larger heatsinks fitting in their cases. If it won't fit, Look at the Noctua NH-U12P which is a little smaller.

_DW

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I couldn't find the Noctua in stock but in a newegg review somebody said it barely fit in their antec 300, so I think it will fit, but I could be wrong. If it is too big I can use it for my core 2 duo and get the Noctua whenever it comes in stock.

Thanks for the suggestion :)
If you know where I can get one in stock please let me know, I would gladly switch at that point. From what I have read, the Noctua is supposed to be better than the V8... just can't find one ( The Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 )

_DW

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Well it appears that Newegg actually has them in stock but for 84.99... After reading some reviews, it appears to be one of the best air cooled options available for the i7 at its 110 CFM. I will add this to the build sheet, thanks for the recommendation :)

_DW

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Games will not be the only thing this box is running. I will have multiple VMs as well. For my job it is necessary to set up identical environments to out customers who are having environmental issues and/or product defects.
Often I will have to gather a VM converter image from a customer and do research at home. This is why I will be going with 6GB ram and possibly going to 12 in the future, although 6 will probably be fine, as I don't find myself often needing to run more than two or three teamed VMs to reproduce an issue.

_DW

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
As stated in my first post, I have already purchased the Antec 300, so another case is not an option at this point.

That is a pretty sweet case though... noise will not be an issue for me though, as the P4 and Core 2 Duo in the same room will still be louder than this new box.

_DW

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Sorry for a self bump here... about to start placing orders, and I wanted to ensure everything is looking good before proceeding.

Thanks guys and gals

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Better company, they tend to be more reliable and have better customer support. Plus, that saphire card comes with a free stalker game and is $10 cheaper.

_DW

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Enough said :) thanks, I will make the switch on the build sheet when I get home (just getting out of work).

Thanks again xthekidx, you have been very helpful... you all have :) thanks to all that helped me with this build.