Suggestions for a new CPU Cooler (i7 920)

eaststreetz

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Hi everyone :)

I need a CPU Cooler for my i7 920. I want the new cooler be quieter than the stock fan. Some ppl say that 120MM fans are more quieter. However, i don't know if my case can store the new 120MM cooler. By the way, my case is;

CoolerMaster RC690

v2-RC-690-KKP3-GP-6.jpg

Priorities

1- Quiet, Quiet and quiet. Since i will place my PC in a dormitory, i want it to be quiet. More quiet than stock fan

2- If it could be cooler also, that would be perfect!

3- Price Limit is up to 60$

Thanks a lot!

Solution
Yeah but it's not the most glowing review is it.
The Intel Core i7-920 stock heatsink has the ability to run fairly quiet at lower fan speeds, and with proper PWM control and an enclosure muffling it, should only be noticed by the most nimble-eared. On load however, it cannot sustain reasonable temperatures without ramping up to close to full speed. In our case, we had to stop testing once the fan was undervolted below 10V (21~22 dBA@1m) as the CPU came close to failing due to heat. It performs terribly and with undesirable levels of noise, making it a fitting example of the "just good enough" stock cooler.
Btw i read a recent review and the Gelid Tranquillo is very quiet looks like it's on back order at the Egg though.
They are both good well known coolers but i wouldn't count on receiving the rebate from Sunbeam from what i've read.
My first choice would be the Thermalright but i see it's out of stock.
After that i would choose one of these.
Scythe Mugen 2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142
XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029
The Scythe can be tricky if you have ram taller then 40mm and all dimms are filled.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks

Another option is the Thermalright MUX-120 Black which is easy to install and dead quiet.
I know cuz that's what i use on my i7 860 but i have no idea of its cooling efficiency on a i7 920.
Cools the 860 very well idles about 32C and like i said the fan is super quiet under 20db.
http://www.thermalright.com/products/?act=data&id=146&cat_id=27

Yeah but it's not the most glowing review is it.
The Intel Core i7-920 stock heatsink has the ability to run fairly quiet at lower fan speeds, and with proper PWM control and an enclosure muffling it, should only be noticed by the most nimble-eared. On load however, it cannot sustain reasonable temperatures without ramping up to close to full speed. In our case, we had to stop testing once the fan was undervolted below 10V (21~22 dBA@1m) as the CPU came close to failing due to heat. It performs terribly and with undesirable levels of noise, making it a fitting example of the "just good enough" stock cooler.
Btw i read a recent review and the Gelid Tranquillo is very quiet looks like it's on back order at the Egg though.

Solution

eaststreetz

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Nothing, i have been using this computer with the wstock fan since then. The only upgrade i did is replacing the HD4890 with a GTX750Ti. I will never buy an AMD again.

Apart from that, i7 920 still rocks for me when compared with modern midrange laptops.

Awe-fucking-some bump by the way:D

32starview

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

I have a Dell XPS I7 920 LGA 1366 and among the many upgrades I did was replace the stock cooler with an Artic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2 (which I beleive has AMD mounting as well), link is here. If you ever get to repalcing it, might be a worthwhile option :).

I've never had an AMD but had heard somewhere that they run quite hot. Am not a fan of any stock cooler, AMD or Intel.

eaststreetz

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

Thank you sir:wahoo:

But it's been 6 years and i am just a casual gamer now :) wow... Really look at my message... Its really weird. Time is the biggest illusion that we can ever experience.

32starview

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

Time flies :)