EQPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Got my new rig together a few days ago, specs are in my sig. In any case, I ended up overclocking the processor to 3.6 GHz using only the multiplier, but to get it stable I have to bump the CPU to 1.5 volts. After reading a bit, it seemed to me that most others weren't needing anywhere near that voltage for 3.6GHz, so I went back into the BIOS to work with the Memory / NB / HT to see if I could get the o/c stable at a lower voltage. I couldn't quite get anything to work out though... Most of the time I'd try new settings, save it, and upon booting windows, it would get to the progress bar "Microsoft Corporation" screen, then go blank and alternate between the monitor being on but blank, and the monitor showing no signal at all, just showing a black screen. In any case, I ended up setting everything back to defaults after awhile, but still I had an issue with it not booting. Sometimes it would pass the progress bar page, but the screen would do the same thing and I'd get the sound Vista makes when it loads the login screen, but I'd still see nothing. Other times I'd manage to log in, but the screen flickers on and off, as well as various parts of the Windows flickering on and off as well. (gadget bar, desktop, toolbar) For instance the desktop would flicker to black but the gadgets still showed up, etc. At this point I shut it down and tried each graphics card individually in each slot... both of them worked individually in either of my PCI-E slots. Put it all back together and... same thing. Flickering, etc... At this point I'm thinking it might be the PSU, although it was working fine before. Any thoughts?

EQPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Oh... forgot to mention. This phenomenon occurs with both cards in no matter if the CrossFire bridge is attached or not. In addition, once I boot into Windows and the screen does it's usual flickering thing, it doesn't just flicker, I actually get the Windows "hardware removed / added" chime quite often, followed of course by the monitor completely losing signal and going black, then the chime again and it cutting back on. I also tried a different monitor... same thing.