nitro1964

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Hi, I have an issue i would like some clarification on. I am running Vista 64 bit and currently have the following ram installed.

Corsair CM2X2048-8500C5D XMS2 Rev 1.1

I have 2 sticks (4gigs)
MOBO is Gigabyte EP45C-DS3

My problem is I just bought the same memory again another 4 gigs of identical memory, to upgrade to 8 gigs. BUT, the new memory is Revision 2.2. I have no idea if this would make a difference, but put simply if i remove my Rev 1.1 and put in the Rev 2.2 my pc just locks up and freezes, don't want to know. But my Rev 1.1 ram works nice no problems.

As this is new ram, is it possible its just faulty, or is this Revision 1.1 to 2.2 an issue, and can they run side by side as 8 gig ???

I can't test the new ram, obviously because pc won't work with it in. So i am going to RMA the ram, in case it is faulty. But i wanted clarification on the issue of Rev 1.1 and 2.2, and can they work togeather. Thank You

The "C" in ep54c tells me that this is a combo ddr3/ddr3 motherboard. The ddr2 ram should not fit in the open slots, and you should not be able to upgrade to 8gb.
You can't run both ddr2 and ddr3 at the same time.
You might be able to purchase a 8gb kit of ddr2 ram in a 2x4gb configuration, but that is expensive.

Still, the new revision should work. Can you run memtest86+ on each of the 2.2 sticks individually?
For technical questions on corsair ram, go to their web site, and access their forums. The corsair tech ram guy will respond.

nitro1964

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Hi, thank you for responding. First off yes the MOBO is compatible with DDR2 and DDR3, naturally not togeather, either or. But i am only using DDR2 and the new memory i got was also DDR2, of exactly the same type as was already installed as i explained. The simple difference was the ones i have are Rev 1.1 and the new are rev 2.2. The 2.2 just don't work at all.

Also i have 6 memory slots, 4 are for DDR2 and 2 of them are for DDR3, but not at same time obviously. The MOBO can deal with upto 12 gb of memory. With reference to memtest, thats actually bit of a laugh, because i bought the pro version ( because i found i could burn it to disk) handy for future. Anyway, what i forgot was i do NOT have a floppy 1.44 drive, never needed one so never installed one.

But i will run a memtest when i can get to install it. Never the less, still would like to know why the 2.2 would not run on my system and the 1.1 runs absolutely fine. :)