I'm nervous about this custom built CPU I bought

Fletch206

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I bought a new CPU tower for $600 from a guy who builds custom CPU's. It's running on Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. So far I've had it blue screen (death error) whenever it went into hybernation mode. I disabled hybernation mode to solve that problem (I assumed it was a Vista 64bit issue). However now when I'm running HL2 CS:Source I have blue screened twice within the approximate gameplay time of 8 hours (it seems to be completely random and not too frequent). When I reboot it seems nothing has been affected but I'm guessing it can't be good for my CPU.

Here are the specs for the CPU I bought:

(Running on Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit)

Antec 300 case
Intel Dual Core 2 Quad QX6800 2.9 GHZ
Nvidia GeForce 9600GTX+ 512MB
4 GB OCZ Reaper RAM
750GB Samsung F-1 Hard Drive
Intel 975BX2 Mobo
Enhance 500W ATX12V 24+8pin Power Supply
22x Philips DVD+RW/CD+RW

I did some research on cost for these parts and it seems like $600 is a fair price. What do you guys think? Any thoughts about the random blue screens of death? I think it might be related to the Samsung 750GB Hard Drive... maybe I need to update a BIOS but I don't know how to do that. (I've heard Samsung hard drives are notoriously faulty :(

donald7777

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
check to makesure nothjing is overclocked, all drivers are up to date, maybe try beta drivers
(9600 are evil in sli bsod always) try swaping out the 9600 and see if it blue screens

Fletch206

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Oops sorry it is a 9800GTX+ (Foxconn). I just got the blue screen again last night while my computer was idle. AEVM how do I "flash for the latest bios", I'm such a noob.

First you go to the manufacturer's Web site (that would be Intel, here) and find and download the BIOS update.

Then you follow the instructions found in the motherboard's manual or on the Web site. Unfortunately the method depends on the motherboard and I have no idea which method is best for yours. If you're lucky you can just use a Flash drive. If not,
you might need a floppy disk.

Read this thread,
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/226375-30-compatibility-issue-intel-desktop-board-975bx2
then send a private message to g-paw. He's already been through this experience and he may be able to help you a lot more than me.