Sign in with
Your question

Using turboV?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 13, 2010 6:07:48 PM

Hello everyone...I finally got my new machine up and running, and I've spend the past 2-3 days trying to do an overclock using the bios on my cpu, but no matter what i do, it crashes every time. I'd assume im probably not smart enough to be messing around with the functions in the bios, so it brings me to ask another question. Is anyone here familiar with turboV? I know i have always been told its not as good to do OC's with windows programs like this, but i'm on the verge of giving up. I've read every guide i can find on the internet and i've just come to the conclusion that messing with the bios is not for me. BUT, as soon as i installed my new gpu's and activated my SLI, it seemed like i've been lagging more.....I can only assume this is because i have too much gpu with not enough cpu pushing it.

Anyways my biggest problem with bios overclocks is the use of prime95. When i open up that program it all looks like greek to me, and i don't know how the hell to tell what it all means. Is it possible that anyone could just tell me some quick settings i could use in turboV to push my cpu as close to 4.0 as it will go? Thanks again.

More about : turbov

a c 100 K Overclocking
August 13, 2010 10:14:46 PM

Maybe... but you might want to add what CPU and motherboard you have, as well as the GPUs and PSU you're using.
August 14, 2010 9:30:22 AM

lol im sorry completely slipped my mind.

asus p6t x58 mobo with core i7 930 (d0)
gtx260 maxcore x3 gpu
corsair hx1000w psu
6gb ddr3 triple channel memory
Related resources
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 14, 2010 4:37:16 PM

OK well that should be a fairly easy CPU to get a bit of an overclock from.

Increase the base clock a bit, maybe try 160. You can probably leave the voltages on auto for now, except for the RAM make sure it's running at the rated voltage (1.65V probably) and also double check the timings against the RAM speed. This is probably where your issues are coming from. If your RAM is rated 1600mhz CL8, then set the timings to 8-8-8-24 otherwise if it's at CL7 it won't boot. If you increase the speed beyond that, you'll have to increase the timing too to 9-9-9-27. Basically I'm thinking your issue is that the RAM is causing issues.

As for testing, in Prime95 people tend to run Small FFT. Large FFT is good too. Blend test does a lot more work with the ram so it can help pinpoint if there's an error from the RAM. Otherwise tho, I recommend getting Intel Burn Test. It's a lot easier and quicker. Just set it to 10 tests on High stress and hit start. It'll let you know if it's stable.
August 14, 2010 6:02:58 PM

Okay, I'm sorta following you here, except i have no clue what you mean by ram timing. I don't see a control for that anywhere. Here is a ss of my turbov, and i have written in red letters where i understand you are telling me to adjust, but as far as the ram timings, as you see theres no timings in turbov, only voltages. Also, i was actually able to raise the BCLK to 165 without it crashing when i was messing around, but it was so unstable that when i started up my game, it was like i was on movement speed & attack speed hacks and i was rubberbanding every 5 steps, so i quickly reverted it back to stock settings.

a c 100 K Overclocking
August 14, 2010 8:28:23 PM

Well I'm talking more about doing that in the BIOS. I don't use Turbo V because these sorts of OCing apps aren't necessarily stable.
August 14, 2010 10:42:24 PM

Okay then how do i find what my ram is rated at? When i do properties on my computer all it says is 6gb nothing else.

And so you're just saying....up the clock speed and the ram voltage, and change the ram timing, leave everything else the way it is? Do i need to disable anything in bios first? I've heard people say stuff about certain things you gotta disable in bios.....my main problem with this is that my setup is all brand new, and while i have used bios a few times in my life, this looks completely different. And none of the overclocking guides on the internet work because they seem to be for older setups, and i have way more options and its just really overwhelming to me. I was told before i got this that i7's are a pain in the ass to overclock but i never knew it would be this bad
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 15, 2010 12:28:20 AM

Here's some guildes:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256144-29-1156-core-o...
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overcl...

The quick and dirty of it is: Increase baseclock, choose appropriate multiplier, and set Vcore and IMC voltages (auto works only so far). Disabling things like EIST, C1E, C States, Spread Spectrum etc are really only if you're going to try pushing over 4ghz. Basically if you're finding it seems to hard to get stable, sometimes the issue is simply one of those things. Anyway, after you do that, you gotta check your RAM speed. Reason being, RAM get's multiplied by the base clock as well. To find your RAM timings and info you should really just go to the manufacturer's website... usually when you buy RAM you should know what you're getting, is it 1600mhz CL8? CL9? Maybe you bought 2000mhz CL9? They almost always spec for 1.65V tho. Anyway, most people suggest underclocking the RAM (like using the lowest RAM speed available) when you're working on OCing the CPU. Then when the CPU is where you want it, pick the best RAM speed available.

Basically for any given latency (7-7-7-21, 8-8-8-24, 9-9-9-27 etc) there's a range of speed (mhz) that will work. If you have 1600mhz CL8 RAM, you could run 1400mhz CL7 or 1800mhz CL9 and it would all work at around the same rates overall.
August 15, 2010 12:35:01 AM

I'm not really sure what type of ram it is because i bought a barebones machine (the case, motherboard, cpu, ram, the drives, and some crummy power supply...) basically just the parts i needed. I bought the rest seperately for pricing reasons and put it all together. Everything had a name brand on it except for the ram.....so i just bought the highest rated 6gb ram they had. I'll do some digging and find the page where i bought it from and see what other info it gives about the ram.

edit- here we go i hope this helps

its the 1600mhz i do know that
http://magicmicro.com/debay.asp?iid=2323

also this is the cpu cooler....if that matters

http://magicmicro.com/debay.asp?iid=2334
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 15, 2010 4:57:04 PM

Hmm well that doesn't really help with timings. Maybe CPUZ will give you the info you need under the "memory" tab. Otherwise, you can set the RAM to 1600 and 1.65V and then see what the lowest timings that will work are. Start with 8-8-8-24 and if it boots, you can try it at 7-7-7-21 although I doubt that'll work (only extremely high performance RAM run at 1600 CL7). I'd say it's probably CL8 or CL9...

As for the cooler, it doesn't look much better than a stock cooler. I'd definitely keep an eye on temps under load (Real Temp and/or HWMonitor). Temps will limit your OCing - or at least it should lol. I'm not sure what the i7 max is but the i5 750 max is 72.5C so you'll probably want to make sure it's under 75C.
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 16, 2010 2:20:18 PM

Check the next tab over, that says SPD. That'll show the JEDEC speeds and in the last column it should say XMP with 1600 (or 800) and the appropriate timings.
August 16, 2010 5:23:44 PM

nothing about XMP =\ although i see 800mhz on there under max bandwidth and a whole bunch of other numbers i have no clue what they mean.

a c 100 K Overclocking
August 16, 2010 5:51:24 PM

Interesting...

Ok, well, that's the info you need, anyway. 1600mhz CL9 at 1.5V. I bet at 1.65V you could drop that to CL8 but if it's not in the specs, it might have heat issues (is there a RAM heatsink on them?)

The RAM is probably generic RAM, not meant as high performance stuff. That's why it only has JEDEC specs (which is the general specs all RAM must adhere to)

In your BIOS, you should only really have to set 9-9-9-28 and if you want you could set tRC too but probably won't have to. Command rate it doesn't say, so it might work at 1T/1N or at 2T/2N. Try 1T first.
August 17, 2010 4:14:35 AM

No theres no heatsinks on them....but what is tRC and 1T/1N 2T/2N? settings in the bios? I'm making sure i know everything i need to do before i mess with the bios
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 17, 2010 2:56:26 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_timings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_random_access_memo...
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Understanding-RA...

Here's some light reading for your info.

Generally, tRAS = CL x 3 (more like 7+7+7=21, since if you had 7+8+7, it would be 22. JEDEC spec adds +1 to that number for stability, but it can often work lower). tRC then is simply tRAS+CL, in this case on your RAM it's 22+7=29. Generally when setting timings you only really have to set the CL timings (at 1600mhz you'd be setting the 9-9-9) and the command rate - that's the 1N/1T or 2N/2T. The N and T are the same thing it's just different BIOSes show it differently for whatever reason. Command rate, iirc, comes down to initially finding data on the RAM. It will take and extra clock at 2T which technically is slower, but after that initial "search" all the data transfer is the exact same, so it doesn't make a big difference and will make RAM a little more stable if you're having issues.
August 23, 2010 12:00:57 AM

sorry i've been having problems with my operating system....its acting funky because it thinks its not authentic....its the one i used on my last machine but ive been trying to contact microsoft and have them switch my activation code over, but its so hard to contact them...anyways ive kinda put the overclock on hold till i can get my OS set.
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 23, 2010 2:17:05 PM

Oh I had that issue when I reinstalled Win 7 on my PC (changed HDDs). The online confirmation didn't work, but their telephone thing did - it's all automated. There should be a phone number for manual activation.
!