Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon x1650 Pro AGP Graphics corruption

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2009 3:28:08 PM

Well, the title of the thread says it all...

Ever since I bought that ATI card, the PC has been running absolutely fine but when I start playing games - it's a whole different story.

In every game I play, I experience 'polygons' as ATI refers to them that appear everywhere and obscure my vision (really frustrating in Call of Duty 4 and WaW). I will be uploading screenshots of these 'graphical corruptions' very soon. These anomalies occur in every game and make it impossible to play. And the games DO NOT CRASH, they run smooth as silk otherwise.

The problem has been occurring for 3 MONTHS STRAIGHT and I am determined to find a solution. I have already tried any and all alternate drivers, tried to underclock and overclock the GPU using Riva Tuner 2.24 as some other forums suggested. I have also tried installing the old (7.4) and new (9.2) and boxed (8.7) Catalyst Control Center version to no effect. I even tried disabling Catalyst AI and adaptive anti-aliasing as some other site users suggested, but nothing has worked for me so far.

What should I do? I would be extremely thankful to anyone who can help me out, because this is really very very frustrating.

My PC specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium D 925 @ 3.0GHz (stock)
2GB Kingston RAM @ 667MHz (2 x 1GB)
ATI Radeon x1650 Pro AGP @ stock clocks

If you need any more detailed specs., feel free to contact me by replying to this thread. And if you need to visualize my problem before I upload any screenshots, imagine yourself looking at black and white shards of broken mirror spread all over the screen...

Regards,
Salman http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/message/ico...
March 3, 2009 12:18:17 PM

Welcome to the forums!

You need a new video card.
March 3, 2009 1:42:30 PM

Are you sure? And I'd like to add something to my explanation, the games run perfectly fine for a while and then this whole thing starts... I really don't want to buy a new GPU, it's a last resort... Is this any possible soltion?

I still have the warranty and can probably trade it in for an nVidia GeForce. I am on a tight budget. And I don't have a PCI-Express slot (a pain not to have it) but only an AGP slot. So which card should I get?
Related resources
March 3, 2009 2:27:19 PM

O.K. what temperatures are you seeing? Artifacting that happens after a few minuets or even hours of use is often caused by overheating. Activate Overdrive in the drivers (9.2) and set the fan speed to `manual` and 100%.
March 3, 2009 2:35:30 PM

Hmm... I get between 0 and 5 degrees Celcius (I have a seriously good cooling unit installed and it game along with the GPU, as a matter of fact)

Anyway, I activated Overdrive (in v9.2) and then set the fan speed to 100% without any effect.
Still no use.
March 3, 2009 3:49:08 PM

Screenshots of the corruption (total 14)

As you can see, sometimes the corruption 'rate' is high and sometimes it is low.
March 4, 2009 10:13:46 AM

Thanks for your help 'coozie7', but unfortunately it still doesn't work...
Someone help me out here please...!
March 4, 2009 11:35:51 AM

What temperatures? Unless you r`e living outdoors or have your PC in a refrigerator those temperatures are impossible, 70C under load for the GPU would be more in line.
Your could try using Rivatuner to check the temperatures again but it looks like evongugg was right, if the card is still under warranty it`s time to RMA it, if not you`ll have to stump up for a replacement.
March 4, 2009 11:56:52 AM

I checked temps using RivaTuner and using SpeedFan, they are somehow still coming up inbetween a range of 0 to 5 degrees. It might seem unbelievable but these are somehow the actual temperatures because it is possible that the 1-inch thick cooling unit attached to the 3d card itself can do this job...

Anyways, I think you and evongugg are right, I'll exchange my card. I called the store and they said I can replace it with any card, even an nVidia, as long as I pay for the price difference or they pay me if the new card is cheaper...

So which AGP card should I go for? (preferrably an nVidia GeForce)
March 5, 2009 11:49:10 AM

AGP is now pretty well dead in the water and being pounded on all sides, your best bet would be to change for a cheap PCI-E enabled motherboard and get a HD4650.
Otherwise you`ll just have to speak to the people at the store about which cards they can actually supply.
March 5, 2009 11:57:15 AM

Hmm... I talked with the folks over at the computer hardware store and they say that they can get me an nVidia GeForce 7900GS AGP and an ATI HD3850 AGP. Which one of these two should I go for? I would personally go for the nVidia because my friends have nVidia cards and say that they are much better than the ATI ones...
March 5, 2009 12:31:04 PM

Thanks for all your help, I will go for the 7900GS and post screenshots of the game (which will hopefully work) as soon as possible. Again, thank you very much!
March 5, 2009 12:50:16 PM

Do n`t forget you`re changing manufacturers, so uninstall all existing ATI drivers and software before you install the new card.
And set a restore point before you start, we see more than a few posts from people who have damaged their system software and need to do a full Windows reinstall, including a format, with all that entails because they forgot this step.
March 5, 2009 12:54:12 PM

have you used driver cleaner to remove the drivers before installing new versions? or have you just installed new drivers over old drivers?
March 5, 2009 1:37:58 PM

Yes I uninstalled my old drivers and used a driver cleaner before installating the new ones (duh!). And of course I will have to uninstall my ATI drivers before installing my nVidia ForceWare drivers. I might even temporarily switch to my integrated graphics card just to be on the safe side when performing the change-over (once the 3d card is delivered).
And as for the restore point, I have disabled system restore, but I will make a Norton Ghost 14.0 recovery point and have the recovery disk ready in case of system failure.
Thanks for the concern guys...
!