AMD $4.26 ...

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
One reason: The Global Foundry. The spin off of fabrication side of the company, as well as the capital injection from the middle east partners pretty much erase the doubt of AMD going belly up in the short term.

However whether AMD can really compete with Intel in the market remains to be seen.

curryj02

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
I dunno about there being 'no doubt' that they can compete... What I do know is that we should all HOPE that they can continue to compete. A world with Intel having complete monopoly in the CPU market is not one in which I would want to purchase a computer....

There is if AMD doesn't get to the black. Cash infusions only delay going belly up. Only posting profits will ahow for a good status.

That may be soon or it may take a bit as it will have to get used to the GF. As I have said before the GF might cause AMDs CPUs to be a bit more expensive. So it would take more sales to even out and more to get to a profit.

I think I might cry him a river.

Man what I could do with 12.6 million. Live forever.

JParmerPrice

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
So you own 2% of all AMD common stock? Is that what you are insinuating? Just wondering, if so hey guys we have a billionaire on the message board.
If I misread your post, then I apologize, if not maybe you should see a shrink about your delusions of grandeur.

J. Parmer Price

Tech Report says AMD increased its CPU marketshare to 21% last quarter:

Call it a coincidence if you must, but good products always seem to do wonders for AMD's market share. Quoting an "upcoming report" by Mercury Research, EE Times says the chipmaker's slice of the PC processor market grew almost four points in the first quarter of this year—a gain likely tied to the debut of the Phenom II line.

In the fourth quarter of 2008, AMD reportedly had a 17% market share to Intel's 82.1%. But last quarter, Mercury says AMD managed to secure 20.9% of the market—and Intel's piece of the pie shrunk to 78.2%. Perhaps you shouldn't take those numbers at face value, however: EE Times quotes Mercury Research's Dean McCarron as saying, "The quarter was defined by inventory adjustments, so the statistics do not necessarily reflect the actual state of the market or market share."

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

I don't think he'd be a billionaire if he owns 2% of AMD stock.

This is AMD we're talking about here.

If we were talking about Microsoft then yes he would be a Billionaire.

JParmerPrice

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

Math suks, especially when you miss a 0 when you type it in; thats like the third time in 2 weeks i failed at calculator.exe.

edit

My (correct math) holding:

609,000,000 / 150,000 = 4060
1/4060 * 100 = .024

I fubared the decminal somewhere apparently. Probably did 6.9 million instead of 609 million or something...I own 150,000 shares of AMD stock. Last time I trust math again...

As the report I linked to stated, not clear exactly how much of the marketshare increase is due to the P2 and how much is due to inventory clearance. But yes the price reductions by both Intel and AMD are great for us consumers :).

Unfortunately, as evidenced by the fact that Intel had a better-than-expected profitable Q1, whereas AMD had another huge loss in Q1, it seems that Intels' pricing structure actually makes sense, whereas AMD's does not. Unless a rising economy floats both boats, another cash infusion by the UAE will be required early next year, particularly when it appears that AMD is going to lose significant server marketshare, which as we all know is hugely profitable with high margins.

Actually that should be 0.024%. But anyway if you got in at the low point, you've made close to $400K so far :).

If you're a US citizen, I suspect Pres. Obama will be interested in seeking your involuntary assistance in alleviating the trillion dollar deficit, very soon now :).

AMD is back in the game now that it has a platform. The aquisition of ATI is just starting to pay off. They are selling the crap outta chipsets, Nvidia isnt, and Nvidia isnt allowed to make chipsets for i7.
I think Nvidia is about to hit rock bottom. Better buy VIA now while you still can.

Not sure about back in the game. When they post a profit I will agree. but till then lets say recovering instead as it fits their status.

Jeez Gamerk ... don't tell people about your stock portfolio ... man you will have every blowfly PM'ing you over crap.

ask random to delete it for you ...

Until you ditch the stock your a "real" AMD Fanboy now ... LOL !!

P.S. Watch NV tank now the secrets out about GT300 - the project is way behind ... 2010 now.

Till then ... watch out for some more relabeling / rebadging.

The 4770 will mash their margins on the old G92 sales too ...

Bummer eh?

NVHateboi out !

Since AMD has dropped about 42 cents in the last 2 days, Gamerk has lost about $62K in 48 hours assuming he stayed in at 150K shares :D. This is why I don't gamble on the stock market - don't think my nerves could take it :)...

jennyh

Splendid
AMD have dropped 25c today already, compared to nvidia's 71c and intels 51c.

Hey guess what, everyone is dropping today. If Nvidia lose much more they might be able to break into the nasdaq's top 10 losers today. :D